SX 700R coolant loss

yamaholic22

My '01 sx 700r is loosing some coolant, but i dont know from where. There doesn't appear to be any leaking from the bottom of the waterpump, and there is never any coolant on the ground underneath it after it has been running. Could this possibly be a head gasket? I wouldn't think it would use coolant from that, would think it would just put pressure into the coolant system, causing the overflow bottle to fill or overflow. I can add coolant to the bottle, run it for 15 minutes, and it will be down and inch or two from where i filled it to. Temp light never comes on, so its not getting too hot. Any ideas or suggestions?

i thought about that but if that was bad wouldn't it be dripping coolant from the bottom of the waterpump?

definately not a heat exchanger. I guess i better just get down in there and look a little better to see if it is slowly dripping from that weep hole, even though i have never seen coolant under the engine or on the floor. I hear its not too fun getting those seals out of the waterpump to change :o| #$%&*

If you cant find any leaks anywhere ,than its coming out of your exhaust......(Headgasket)

mine leaked really slow last summer from the gasket that connectes to the cylinder head. but it stopped so im not worried. check your water pump though.

either the seat behind the impeller(you wont see coolant, it leaks into the case) or a head gasket. keep in mind if the coolant goes low your temp light wont come on, I lost a motor last year because on the light not comming on from low coolant. I lost a stud through the exchanger coolnt leaked and the light never came on, but i found out she was getting hot when the motor locked up

there is a weep hole behind the mechanical seal in the waterpump (the one behind the impeller) so if that is leaking, coolant should drip from the weephole, that is how it is designed, so that coolant cannot enter the case. Also, if it was a headgasket, compression would be leaking into the coolant system, and the overflow bottle would appear to be MORE full once warmed up, as the negative air pressure from intake has much less negative pressure difference than the positive difference from compression, so usually a leaky head gasket will not leak coolant, but will put compression gases into the cooling system. The only reasonable explanation is that it must be the waterpump, so i guess i need to check that a little better when i get home this weekend, definately won't hurt to open it up and take a look

Back