Boomer's Evolved 146" Retro SRX

Boomer

Lifetime Member
Here's a few pics of what started out as a '02 SRX with some changes to turn it into my idea of the ultimate Yamaha 2-stroke trail riding sled.

After installing a 136" mono skid 2 years ago I decided to stretch it out to a 146" this year using a 146" Camoplast Cobra single ply track. The rails are custom made in a 146" length with a 5 degree rear tip up, and were cut to allow using 8" diameter rear wheels, and are hard coat anodized black. The rear suspension has a Ohlins EC shock with the shock controller mounted to the handlebar.

The front suspension uses custom built chromoly trailing arms/radius rods, and has a 44" ski stance. It uses the latest Fox Float 2 Evol R shocks that were custom built for this sled. USI X-2 skis are installed.

I went with some new graphics on this build to give the sled a retro look from some of the past Yamaha sleds of the late 70's-early 80's.

Electric start and reverse were installed a couple of years ago, along with a custom Boss seat. Apex handlebars are mounted to Rox 6-9" height adjustable risers.

After running over 500 miles on the sled this weekend in the U.P. of Michigan both on and off trail, I can honestly say that I'm totally impressed with the ride and handling of the sled. With the improvements made on this sled I can run the trails with any of the latest sleds out there. It's got the speed, handling, comfort and convience to hang with the new big dogs. And it's using a Yamaha 2-stroke motor that's 8 years old. ;)!

Who says that you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

Attachments

• SRXside1.jpg
    SRXside1.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 314
  • SRXfront1.jpg
    SRXfront1.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 138
  • SRXside2.jpg
    SRXside2.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 157
  • SRXfront2.jpg
    SRXfront2.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:

Here's a few more pics of the front and rear suspension, along with the EC shock controller and LED tail light.

Attachments

• SRXohlinsEC1.jpg
    SRXohlinsEC1.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 127
  • SRXrear1.jpg
    SRXrear1.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 73
  • SRX146ECmono1.jpg
    SRX146ECmono1.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 143
  • SRXEvol1.jpg
    SRXEvol1.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 159
any chance i could see how you rigged up/ made the number plate on your handle bars, or is there a place i could buy one from???

and like always, another great build from boomer.

SX_SLAYER said:
any chance i could see how you rigged up/ made the number plate on your handle bars, or is there a place i could buy one from???
and like always, another great build from boomer.

The number plate is from Roxspeedfx. Here's a link: http://www.roxspeedfx.com/cgi-bin/cart/showitems.cgi?subcat_id=302

Blown Concepts made the graphics on the number plate and the rest of the sled. Here's their link: http://www.blownconcepts.com/store.htm

I like using the number plate to put my trail stickers on instead of on the windshield, especially if you swap out windshields.

Attachments

• SRXfront2.jpg
    SRXfront2.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 51
  • WarmWindys.jpg
    WarmWindys.jpg
    467.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Low&Cold.jpg
    Low&Cold.jpg
    427 KB · Views: 49
I think I read somewhere that you have electric start on that thing? Can you explain how you fit the starter motor in there and not to mention the battery? Also, some pics of that would be great. Thanks

great work. The Snow Tech write ups of your first iteration of the SRX and your Viper are what convinced me to keep my SRX and customize it. They still are amazing sleds.

Thanks for the comments about the SRX. I can't be any happier with the way the sled rides and handles this year with the 146" mono skid and the new Fox Evol shocks. I've got a clutching set up in the sled that's using 8BU-10 weights that I've been working on the last few years. I think I've finally got it set up perfectly this year for the SRX. From bottom to top end this set up flat out works. If I have the time I'm going to try some Drag 'n Fly weights next. I've got those in the 4-stroke sleds, and really like the way they perform in the 4-strokers.

Regarding the electric start; I simply installed a kit from a Viper. Since it's been a few years since I installed it, I don't remember all of the details and I didn't take any pictures of the install. I do remember that by just following the instructions that came with the kit it was a pretty easy install. I mounted the relay in the area between the rear of the airbox and the front of the gas tank. The starter motor fit in the usual mounting area on the front of the motor. I think that I had to switch out the front PTO motor mount with one from a Viper so that the starter motor would fit. It's really nice to not have the usual cold starting problems any more that SRX's are famous for. To simply be able to turn the key and flip the choke lever is priceless.

The battery was the biggest challenge. The custom Boss seat that I have has a large storage area in the rear. I mounted the battery to the top of the tunnel in the rear storage compartment of the seat. The battery that I'm using is from an Apex. I'm not sure if a rear mount for the battery would be possible using a stock seat. The only place under the hood to mount a battery that I could see would be under the secondary clutch in front of the foot rest, and to build a protective shield for the battery if the belt ever let go. I simply decided to mount it in the rear of the seat.

Last edited:
I am so used to looking at my blue 98 SRX that it startled me! Very nice but my 98 is a beauty also.

Thanks guys. I like to rotate the stable of sleds every year, so the SRX did not see the snow last year. I did some work on it yesterday in preparation for this season and all I can say is I'm really looking forward to riding the SRX again soon.

Attachments

• 1-UP-2012 033.JPG
    1-UP-2012 033.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Back