air box mod

sxrextreme

is this gonna affect my reliablity, gas mileage ....or is it going to burn down on me .....someone said it could burn down on me ......i dont think so but now im over analysing......hows this mod working for everbody else?

ok guess ill reply to myself .....(you can talk to yourself all you want if you answer yourself you got a problem) im sure this mod will be fine ....it will wake the thing up give it some fresh air....more air more horsepower .....better throttle response.....awesome :rockon:

Leave the airbox stock. Mid-range jetting is a @#^%&#!

@#%*&^%

ok so what did i screw up ....it sounded good when i read it on the tech pages ...i already drilled my airbox 7 1" holes i thought this was an ok mod to do for a sxr (i have a 2003 sx600r) it says go up one size on main jets .....so is this going to affect all jetting? how was the airflow before with the stock airbox ? now i dont know what to do maybe i should have left it alone.....(always gotta mess with something) what do you guys think? suggestions are welcome .....turk help! :o|

watersuper....thanx for the reply, after getting the advice of u and turk and 98srx6 (waiting for mr.sleds reply) im going to tape the holes up and not do this mod sounds like more of a hassle than anything it is stock right now and fast enough plus im doing the reed notch and im going to put a can on it ....what are your thoughts on the head gasket mod, porting and baffle plate bore? ....i like the reliability and gas mileage that stock has ...how would all those mods affect that....thanks ;)!

thanks mr. sled for the reply i respect all your guys input you all know a lot more than me .....not gonna do the airbox mod .....just gonna notch it, shave weight, clutch it, can it, and pimp it out ......lol .......thanks for all the replys

rock on dude :rockon:

just get the divider plate in the middle of the air box, don't worry about the lid holes, it will put you back to "stock" intake. I drilled mine a few seasons back, and changed it right away, egt's were nutty at the elevation I ride at.

sxrextreme said:
ok guess ill reply to myself .....(you can talk to yourself all you want if you answer yourself you got a problem) im sure this mod will be fine ....it will wake the thing up give it some fresh air....more air more horsepower .....better throttle response.....awesome :rockon:
this is ok, now its when you argue with yourself and lose you've got a prob.

Last edited:
What if you just drilled say 2 holes in it to give it just a little more air? Would that let it breath a little more and then still be able to run the stock jets and not mess with any of that?

Holy back from the dead thread:)

I've been using this mod in my 700 mountain max for years. Went from the 1.0 air jets to a .7 or .8, not sure anymore it's been years since I did it. This cured my lean bog when snapping the throttle open. So I never really had an issue, but I know of lots of guys that taped the holes shut.

When I read the article, it looked to me like the center plate would be the one to really have an impact and that drilling the lid wouldn't be that significant. Is this accurate? Grapeape reinforces this assumption of mine.

Don't do it, the airbox flows enough for the single pipe, I didn't feel any increase in power or throttle response and jetting was a nightmare. I couldn't get rid of a lean bog, changed air jets, pilot jets nothing worked. It might be a different story with pipes though.

Back