97' MM700 bogging problems-Help

Mudrunner

Hey guys-

I have a 97 mm700 that ran great last year. It had the airbox mod and triple pipes. I just bought 2 newer MM's and needed to sell my 97'.

My brother bought it on the premis that I put the stock exhaust back on it to quiet it down. It was really really loud. I agreed to do this and bought a stock exhaust system from a venture 700.

I researched the jetting requirements and sought some advice on the web to come up with a combination.

original set up with airbox mod and pipes was 137.5-137.5-136.3 on the mains.

the new set up is 140-138.8-138.8 mains and 52.5 pilots and 1.5 turns out on the fuel screws. needles are 2nd clip from the bottom with the two washers underneath.

My riding conditions are 2500' to 6000' and average 30 degrees.

We went on a shake down run yesterday and the 97' ran like crap. It was boggy from start to wide open.

It never really zipped, it just felt flat and sluggish and slow. The plugs were wet with fuel.

This sled starts easy at sea level and in the hills. It will idle clean all day long.

I looked in my manual and the current jetting seemed right to me.

Should I try the old set up with the stock exhaust and airbox mod?

Needless to say, he's a bit concerned that I already spent the money he gave me. I told him I'd help get it right.

hopefully thats where you all come in :)

Thanks in advance,

AJ

The modded box may be the problem.....do the clutch, rollers and weights look good...no flat spots...did you change the clutching back after you changed back to single pipe??

Also keep in mind with the stock can on it the motor will not move as much air. It will move more air than bone stock since the air box was modded. So the jetting scales will be all thrown off with reguards to your mods.

What I'd suggest is this. The 700 probably needs to be jetted for less altitude than what your actually running it at. Or maybe you can un-mod the airbox. This is one really bid can of worms. There are way to many combinations of jetting to get this working right. A good place to start would be back at stock for the alitude your running it at plus a size or 2 on the mains and a setting higher needle.

Good luck.

Thanks guys -

I feel really silly here because when I pulled the carbs set off to change the jets down, I noticed that one float bowl cap was gone and another was only hanging on by a couple threads. This explains the fuel he was smelling. :) :o|

I am sure I tightened them but who knows for sure. This time they are tight and I put a dab of silicone on the seam of each one to dampen vibration.
We'll see.

We jetted back just above stock and lowered the needle. We left the pilots and will give that a try. I hope no damage was done to the one cylinder getting no or very little fuel.

I'll keep you all posted.

AJ

If you cover the holes in the top lid to the air box, it will clean it right up. I had a bowl plug "fall out once too" didn't hurt anything. Maxdlx

Back