primary torque?

mack7

I just pulled my primary and was wondering when I put this back on should I torque it to specific poundage or just snug it tight?

primary tork

I asked the same question recently. The response I got was tork to 87 ft/lbs, loosen and re-tork to 43 ft/lbs. So that's what I did. Do a search to find that thread because there were several posts and I don't remember all the info.

Hey Mack,there is some good info in the tech tips section of the forums on this subject. Maybe you have already seen it. The thread was started by Morley. See ya.

2ooosrx said:
somebody just posted this yesterday about the exact same thing. You must first torque it to 86 pounds to set it on then you back it of and tighten it to 43 pounds. This is what yamaha recommends.

Yeah I posted this same question in the tech forums.

I torqued it down to 80ft lbs, I could not go any tighter, felt like I was
going to break something, and then loosened, and then re-tightened to
60 ft lbs.

43lbs just didn't seem like it was tight enough IMHO.

43 is tight enough, because it is already pulled tight onto the crank by the initial torque. Yamaha would know best how tight it has to be, they are the ones testing for thousands of hours. 60 might fatigue the bolt overtime with the vibration...

As an engineer, I will tell you to follow the recommended OEM specs for a reason, especially on bolt tightening. The tighening of a bolt is not as simple as everyone thinks it is and there are reasons for what they tell you to do. Trust the OEM specifications on bolt torques! If you want a detailed explanation on bolt torque/tension theory, let me know and I will try to put something together to post.

Da fin ;):D

Back