Question about '02 SX 600R

Sleds@home

Hello all,

What rear suspension did the '02 SX 600R have? The info I found said it only had 8" of rear travel compared to the '00 that had like 11.5".

Maybe it doesn't matter much since reading old threads here show they all rode really hard. It has to ride better than my '91 Phazer...correct??

Thanks in advance,

Brian

sounds like you were reading info about the SX600 not the SXR600.

The SX has the 8 inch suspention the SXR has 11.5.

someone will correct me if this is not right.

And yes it will ride better than your Phazer.

ride better than your 91' Phazer? HECK YA........ I've got both, the phazer is just a spare sled now. The SX-R's don't ride hard, they ride stiff for about the first 1000 miles then they get ALOT better. Do a search and you will find alot of tips on setting up the suspension.

ride better than your 91' Phazer? HECK YA........ I've got both, the phazer is just a spare sled now. The SX-R's don't ride hard, they ride stiff for about the first 1000 miles then they get ALOT better. Do a search and you will find alot of tips on setting up the suspension. All 00'+ proaction yamaha's have the 11.5" rear skid except for the SRX 700

Thanks for the reply Tod…I’m sure you are correct.

It seemed odd that a sled would lose travel instead of gain. I was getting my info from an old American Snowmobiler magazine. They said the front travel was 9” and the rear was 8”; which seems odd as most sleds have more rear travel.

Brian

Hey BlueIronRanger thanks for the great information; you are making my purchase decision a lot easier…

My Phazer has 6500 miles and is still running strong; just a bit lacking in the power and suspension category.

Now, where’s that search function…

Brian

yes the shorter travel is the SX. Not the SX-R

Search is at the top. scroll up.

sx-r

everyones right .....sx.....had less travel than sx-r....and you cant go wrong with this sled if your thinking about buying one ......i love mine....they are very reliable and good on gas .....not to mention awesome drift hopppers....i love jumping drifts ;)!

Yes, seriously considering purchasing the sled.

2002 with 750 miles and he’s asking $3900 obo…like all things for sale…it’s like new ;)

I see trade in value is around $2765 and retail is $4030.

Here is a question that I might regret asking: Can I put electric start on it??? I only ask because my father will likely take this sled when we ride together. Since he doesn’t like my MXz at all…

Thanks again,

Brian

E-start is nice but will hardly get used, the tripple is really easy to pull start, lighter pull than the phazer has and when its stone cold I flip the choke to full and never have to pull the recoil more than twice. Once its warmed up about 1/2 pull will get it going.

Yea you should be able to talk him down on the price a little, maybe to around 3,400 or so. Electric start isn't too expensive to install, but probably not really need, everyone is right, with the stock head gaskets it is nice and easy to pull over, and always starts right up

sx-r

sounds like the thing is like new ....id go for it... you cant go wrong with the sx-r .....750 miles is not a lot... id say it reflects the price ....he could probably go a little lower ...id say 3700 ...they are nice sleds .....good luck

I bought my '01 SX 700R almost a year ago with 820 miles, and i got it for 3,200, and it is in EXCELLENT condition. With the one you're looking at being a 600, you should be able to get it for real close. One year newer, but its one year later than when i bought mine.

Update...

Update: My father saw the sled last night and the overall appearance was very good.

Everything was going well until he started it. Neither my father nor I claim to know much about the Yamaha triples, but it would seem they should be nice and smooth at idle. However, the sled vibrated very badly and the handle bars shook quite a bit. The motor seemed to almost sputter like it was on two cylinders. Although, one he brought the sled off idle, it smoothed out nicely and seemed to run on all cylinders.

Now he didn’t check to see what RPM it was idling at, but the owner claimed it has always been like that.

Is this normal for a 600 triple?? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Brian

Thats normal for a tripple that hasn't been run for a few months, it has a plugged pilot jet and the carbs need to be cleaned. The pilot jets plug pretty easy on these tripples. Once you know how to do it, it only takes about 10 minutes to clean the jets.

Ya, I have a sx600r also. Seams like first couple start ups for the year it will act that way. Usually throttle it up out of it and it will clean out.

My Sxr's are both set up soft and they ride better then all my buddies and they talk about how comfortable it is.

Definately set up stiff from factory and will loosen automatically.

Brent

I agree with Blue - Mine carbs clog up every summer and need need to be cleaned out but it is something you should do anyway. I will garantee you will love this sled. It handles like on rails and the engine is bullet proof so no need to worry about a used sled of this type. Suspension is not too bad compared to new competitors, but does take about a 1000 miles to "break in". You won't be dissapointed in the 600 SXr but I do recommend clutching it to get the full power out of the motor.

Da fin

Back