2001 Vmax 700 Dlx Clutching?

elevatorman718

Website
mysite.verizon.net
I have been looking in the past threads to try and answer my question, but nothing I have come across has been directed specifically for my sled. I have a basically stock except for Bender silencer and now Bender TR3 traction control adjusters, 2001 Vmax 700 dlx. I lost 40 or more MPH off the top speed not realizing that I was over revving the whole last year and part of the year prior to that. I brought the sled back to the dealer at the end of the 2002 season and they removed and cleaned the clutch and sheaves and replaced the belt. I had a squeal at idle the whole last season and the top speed wasnt any better than before. What would your suggestion be for me to try and rectify this problem now, before I can actually test on the trail or lake? I have never done any clutch work before, but I am in a mechanical profession and I'm not scared to give it a shot on my own. Any ideas as far as a baseline starting point as to where my troubles are, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
PS: If you think I would be better off bringing it somewhere to be straightened out, please say so.

That is the same basic sled as a sxr 700, other than the gearing isn't as easy to change. I'd use Turks sxr set up in the tech page. The belt squeel is because your secondary is out of adjustment. Where does the belt sit in the secondary after you have run the track, and then shut the sled off. My quess is it is sitting to high. Maxdlx

So your saying that this setup should do it? -

51/43 Helix, stock weights w/4.5g rivet in 1st hole and 3.1g in tip, 2-3 engagement shims, stock springs, 1 or 2 layers removed from head gasket and 22/40 gearing. Jetting: 142.5 mains and 14.5 mm rollers

I believe that it comes stock with 14.5 mm rollers and 10.3 and 13.9 rivets, wouldnt 4.5 and 3.1 rivets be alot lighter? Im confused :confused:

You are mixing apples and oranges! The 10.3 & 13.9 rivets are length in mm. The 4.5 & 3.1 are weight in grams. The 10.3mm =2.4 grams. The 13.9mm = 3.6 gr. The 4.5 & 3.1 gr. rivets would be 17.2 & 13.3mm respectively.
I have the same machine in a 2000 and have set my sled to Turks recommendations with one omission. I left the stock main jets in. Less chance of burning the motor. You may also want to send your can to Maxximum Performance to be bored out. Cost about $80.00 and will bring the entire package together.

Back