1997 XTC 600 Clutching???

Upnorthguy00

I have a 1997 XTC 600 twin. All that is done to this sled is a bender can, and a hauck 600 twin power up kit. Which consists of a thin head gasket, reed spacers and carbon fiper reeds. How can I clutch this sled to really make it go? What is a good set up that will work with what I already have done?

Thanks Ryan

Boy there sure are a lot of '97 XTC owners here lately.

Ryan, I'll let you know how it goes with my clutch kit. Hopefully it arrives Tomorrow or Friday. I think this is the key to really making the old lady scoot. Though I have the stock pipe and can on mine and no intention of changing them. My biggest issue last year after my rebuild was traction. I have the stock track still and it's not studded. I was on trail 8 in the eastern UP at 80MPH and giving it wide open throttle still resulted in track spin up thru 90. I had to let off since I was 400 RPM over suggested redline on a motor with 50 miles on the new pistons and rings.

Good luck.

I have seen this topic several times (since i have a 600). Do a search on these forums. There might even be one in the "tech section" of TY. The guys that post the info know their setups. ;)! good luck

The one in the tech section (at least using FireFox) is black test on black background but if you highlight it it is visable. It is near the end of the list.

XTC600 tuning

Alum. 0.8 in the inner hole. Be sure clutches are aligned and the center to center distance is correct. Also might have to play with the secondary spring hole location to tweak it just right. Clutch set up is strictly for .6mm head gasket mod., stock jetting, set fuel screws to 2 turns and make sure floats are set to 24 mm.

This is what is listed. Since your setup is different than this already it will be a bit different for you.

Here's what worked well for me. Drop one tooth on the top gear (from 22/39 to 21/39). You'll also have to change to a 68L chain. Then load up the stock 8CR weights to control the RPM, can't remember what I ended up with. You'll loose a little on top, but it'll get there quicker. With the other mods you have it should be fun!

8ca weights, 50/44 helix..load weights to run at 7800 rpm at WOT!

This is the stock setting. 8cr weights, inner filled with 4.5g outer filled with 3.6g. 15.6mm rollers.

I got a set of 8AB's with 3.6g's in both holes a new wsw primary spring and new 15.6mm rollers. It took about a hour to swap it all start to finish. I can't tell anything except the engage rpm with 2 shims under the spring is the same, 4000ish, and it rev's a bit higher driving it slowly across the lawn, not snow covered so there is a high load. It is different than it was before with the 8cr's and the worn out rollers. If I don't like the way it runs I can always swap back in the 8cr weights, though I might purchase new ones that are not grooved up first.

What do you mean by load it up? drill out the 3.6 outer and shove in 4.5g rivits?

Thanks For all the tips. Not sure What to do. Just bought a 2002 SRX and gave the XTC to the old laddie. But if I want to just on the XTC, I want it to go like hell.

Am I better off buying a clutch kit or should I buy these parts seperatly?

Ryan

You are better off buying the parts seperately, it will perform better for your specific application and offers you more tuning options, as well as being cheaper. Clutch kits are more of a band aid, and perform different in every sled application (slightly different elevations, modifications, conditions, etc)

Back