Pulse hose vacuum

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
How strong should the vacuum be on a typical pulse hose to the fuel pump?Will the carbs not being mounted in the boots affect the vacuum?
The reason I ask is my bud has an 01 MxZX 800 and we are trying to figure out why it seems like fuel isn't being pumped into the engine while pulling it over causing hard starting issues.We have pulled it over with the choke on to the point where any other sled would be flooded and the plugs soaked but they are as dry as a bone.
We went at the sled today and got the carbs off and fuel pump apart and both are clean but he's ordering a kit for the pump anyway.I held my thumb over the pulse hose while he pulled it over and there is very minimal vacuum on it almost none.I mentioned that he may have a bad crank seal but the plug color doesn't show any signs of a lean condition.
We have resorted to priming the cylinders to start the sled but it wont idle right,it's low and the engine stumbles like it's lacking fuel which is what we are seeing from the spark plugs.

Back