crank concern 01 sxr 700

mack7

I just did the reed notch mod (what a difference in throttle response!!), while I had the reeds out I noticed that on cylinders 1 and 2 the crank on the right side of each of these, I believe they are crank number 2 and 4, have some blue discoloration to them and I am concerned that something may be getting too hot. The sled runs great with 3800 trouble free miles but could I be running a bit to lean or is this common and nothing to worry about. I appreciate any responses

that could be from the welding that was done on the cranks or when they heated them to put them togather...:), not sure if those are welded....but its from one of the two.

The cranks are not welded, but are heat treated. Every two stroke crank i have seen has some bluish discoloration on it, almost looking like an overheating problem, but it is just a characteristic of the manufacturing process

I think the rest of you a right also. If it would have got that hot while riding it would have cooked the bearings and you would have been towed home.

You genereally see those blue spots on the crank throws where the rod pin is pressed in the crank wheel. They are like that new. I think when they press the cranks together they heat the wheel at that point to make them go together easier.

Yes you are right about the heating when the cranks are put together at the factory

crank

You guys all made my day, I was hoping it was nothing to worry about. I figured I would ask the experts. Thanks again

Back