my 00 srx 700 build

madzx2

i have a 00 srx 700 with 4600 miles on it. its been lake ported, mega power heads, bender can, max perf. adjustabe transfer rods, shimmed skis, etc.

i just got my studs today. im going to run 144 woodys megabites in the center.

shes a little dirty but this spring im planning on pulling the engine and degreasing it and shining it up.

Attachments

• Photo-0104 (Medium).jpg
    Photo-0104 (Medium).jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 40
  • SANY0156 (Medium).JPG
    SANY0156 (Medium).JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 49

installed the studs tonight. what a job that was. had to do it outside with the temp at about 10F and some wind. it took about 3 hours. finally got down to the last section and i was missing three studs. i told myself just look for them tommorrow, just clean up and go in where its warm.

later i found the 3 studs in my coat pocket. after everything was cleaned up.

well i took the devil in a blue dress out tonigh for its shakedown run with the studs. all i can say is unbelievable!! it hooks up so much better. my sppeds are more consistant i stop faster and can power through corners instead of slidding all over the trail.

after my second straight away blast i noticed the brakes were getting soggy. i headed home and my the time i pulled in the driveway i had no brakes. the fluid had squirted out between the master cylinder cap and resivoir.

also i switched my primary spring from the heavy hitter black to a dalton blue. with the hh spring i was engaging at 55-6000 rpms. way too much for me. the dalton blue dropped it to 5000 rpms. it didnt change my shift rpms either.

thanks. its got a crazy story behind it. i met the guy i got it from at work. never seen the guy before in my life. got to know him and we talked about sleds all the time. he was always talking about yamaha this and yamaha that. i was a polaris man so i agreed to disagre with him. he always talked about totally yamaha and how he was a member and how great the site was. so i started checking the guy out, found out what he had told me was true.

so one day he says, in the straightest face ive ever seen "i would like to give you my sled" i just thought he was messin around so i played it off. he kept saying im giving my sled to you week in and week out.

long story short, he comes to work and says hey sign this bill of sale. im thinking yea ok. part of me is buying the story so i signed it. he then says pay me a dollar and hands me the key. so at that point im thinking wow i just payed a dollar for a key to a yamaha.

he called me up on our day off and said come over and pick it up. so the girlfriend and i go over to his place and didnt see a sled anywhere. we all walk around the house and there it is. he helped load it and we left. still i dont believe it. i asked him why my again and again, he said derek i wanted to show you that there are nice people in this world.

averagesleder said:
Really thats how you got the sled? Its not stolen? Do you still work with/thank this guy every day?

Matt

yea thats a true story!! not stolen i checked with the dnr and he had owned it since he bought it in 2000. i no longer work with him but im in contact with him on a daily basis. he helps me out with questions about tuning. everytime i see him i tell him that hes the man.

heres some pis of my studs.

Attachments

• Photo0159 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0159 (Medium).jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Photo0158 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0158 (Medium).jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Photo0157 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0157 (Medium).jpg
    128 KB · Views: 18
cumminsdsl said:
I'll buy if off you for double what you paid.LOL, thats pretty awsome though.

yea $2 cause i gotta make some profit. its been a good machine. it had the classic wire harness rub through but other than that its been awesome.

SWEDE said:
Did you quit running the heavy hitters and if so why?^^^^^^^

i had 8bu00 in it for a while but i didnt like them for trail riding. i am back to the heavy hitters now. instead of using the hh black 150/300 spring im using a dalton blue, only to drop the engagement.

im thinking about blacking my srx out. i really like the yamaha blue but black sleds look killer.

madzx2 said:
i had 8bu00 in it for a while but i didnt like them for trail riding. i am back to the heavy hitters now. instead of using the hh black 150/300 spring im using a dalton blue, only to drop the engagement.
I spoke with Lon at Thunder Products and he told me I'd be running everything stock, springs and all just the hh's.He didn't even mention other springs,must be for higher powered machines maybe?

SWEDE said:
I spoke with Lon at Thunder Products and he told me I'd be running everything stock, springs and all just the hh's.He didn't even mention other springs,must be for higher powered machines maybe?

what machine do you have? he told me i needed to run his black yamaha spring to get the most out of them. but my engagement was to high for me. it was about 5500-6000 rpms. the dalton blue brought it to 5000 rpms.

I have a '01 sx-r 700 with all the usual mods and a fresh top end.It overevs with the fresh top end where before it actually undereved some before the rebuild.I have fully loaded stock weights so I need to do something and would rather not play trial and error with heavier stock weights and pounding rivets.

i would reccomend the heavy hitters. they are so easy to add or subtract wieght. its just the time it takes to get them set up right.

Back