97 500 XT to 600 Triple

musselman

Well since my 500 twin decided to give up on me I have decided to put in a 600 triple from an sxr. I found a good deal on a crashed sled with a good engine. Here are some pics of the 500 and the new 600:

IMG_1645.jpg

Engine Damage
IMG_1669.jpg

IMG_1671.jpg

New sled:
IMG_1683.jpg

The front shock is in an awkward place
IMG_1685.jpg

Snapped the front track shock:
IMG_1689.jpg

I will post progress of the transplant as I go.

That XT looks awesome man! I really look foreward to following this post and seeing the rebuild? Good luck with it!

I just did this to my 99 vmax 500 that blew up. good luck and hope every thing goes well for you. I must say I really like my 600 tripple better than the old 500 twin.

I made some progress on the build. The Xt is almost ready to accept the new engine, just need to give it a good cleaning. Here are some pics,

DSC04410.jpg

DSC04414.jpg

DSC04412.jpg

Thanks for the updates and pics ;)! Is there gonna be a lot of electrical work to do to make it work in the new chassis?

Made more progress on the project. Got everything removed from the xt and got it washed up. Removed the new engine and got it washed and ready to put in. I also need to replace quite a few rivets that hold the frame together, everything is coming loose.

DSC04441.jpg

DSC04445.jpg

DSC04443.jpg

DSC04439.jpg

it looks like your going to the newer ignition, make sure you use the newer thumb throttle on it as well. The older one will be really hot for about 10min before it burns up.

Yes I definitely will. Even before on the old ignition the throttle would burn your thumb when the hand warmers were not even hot.

Made some more progress on the build, got the parts sled torn down and started putting the xt back together. Just waiting on some warmer weather to wash parts and for the rivets to arrive.

IMG_1721.jpg

Got the reinforced steering column on as well as the newer gas tank With a fuel sender for electric fuel gauge ;)!
IMG_1722.jpg

IMG_1723.jpg

IMG_1724.jpg

Got the engine in on the weekend and popped the new rivets in for the trailing arms (Thanks Ding). I want to run the engine and fog it as soon as I can so it is stored properly.

IMG_1727.jpg

IMG_1726.jpg

Just an update on progress, put the sxr front shocks on and decided to go to a 136" track. Also thinking of painting the vent screens red. Here are some pics:

IMG_4500.jpg

wow just noticed how bent that trailing arm is...hmm.

IMG_4501.jpg

IMG_4503.jpg

Well this project has been put on hold for the same reason as my sx. Waiting on rail extensions and a tunnel extension to go 136".

Well here are some updated pics:

Decided to go red with the vents
IMG_4666.jpg

IMG_4667.jpg

New track with 136 extensions
IMG_4668.jpg

New gauges
IMG_4673.jpg

Billet pull handle and gas cap
IMG_4671.jpg

IMG_4672.jpg

awesome project.. did you have to use the fuel pump from the 600? You used all electrical components from the 600 right?

Back