sled shed

staggs65

my garage is clogged solid so i'm going to build a small sled garage/storage shed. it'll be 20'x20' on a concrete slab with a 9x7 overhead door and some storage space in the attic. first i have to do some drainage work. I live on a hillside with alot of ledge so i have alot of runoff and groundwater.

I rebuilt a boat engine in exchange for the excavation work. got a bunch of stumps removed and the trench dug for the 120' of 12" culvert yesterday.
186.jpg

the area behind the excavator with the dead cut down trees is where the sled shed will be. heres a closer shot of the site

187.jpg

he should be back tommorrow to lay the pipe and back fill the trench. then i need to do some more clearing before he can stump and level off the actual site

the top-end is on but i didn't fire it yet. went back to work after a 14 month lay-off and have been tight on time. but things are freeing up some now so i plan to get back to it soon

if you'r planning to pour your slab ground level you might want to consider installing at least .5 sm insolation and a good vapour barier directly on the 3/4
keep your toes nice and warm, but definetily if you have water issues put the vapour barrier and I would also go with a higher mpa on the concrete like 25-30 but thats just me.

keep the pics coming....

p.s doesn't look like you got much trailering to do, that miny excavator must have been rocking pretty good when you pulled out that bolder lol!!

this project got put on the back burner last year and before I knew it the snow was flying and I didn't have the pad poured. The kids didn't mind they got a nice ice rink on the 24x24 packed gravel.

anyways last fall the excavator came back and laid the culvert in the ditch and back filled it. and destumped and leveled off the site
kids10222.jpg

after leveling the site he dug out a 24x24 foot section 18" deep and filled and compacted with gravel. but since then I've decided to go 24x24 on the building so he came back today and dug out an extra 4 feet on 2 sides to make the gravel base 28x28
004-1.jpg

I don't know if it was because it was dusk or what but my camera wouldn't take a clear shot tonight, oh well that was the best of my 5 tries to get a clear pic. I also got him to take some of the big boulders he dug up and make me a firepit with em. hopefully it won't take me another year to make some more progress

wish i had a budget like you do for storage.

all i did was build a 12x20 shed on the side of my garage. 2 doors on each end to drive in & out. layed down some ski guides that normally go on for trailers & some track mat that i had laying around.

keep the pics/ details coming, looks good.

all i did was build a 12x20 shed on the side of my garage. 2 doors on each end to drive in & out. layed down some ski guides that normally go on for trailers & some track mat that i had laying around.

nothing wrong with that. sounds like a good set-up

been a year and 8 months since I started this and it doesnt look much different than the last pic I posted 8 months ago, LOL. This is now back at the top of my to-do list. I took on a job painting a 97 firebird. I dont paint too much for other people any more, just my own stuff, but this job will pay for a big chunk of the shop so I took it on. Off to the garage to wetsand and buff the car so I can get paid and get back to work on the sled shed.

staggs65 said:
been a year and 8 months since I started this and it doesnt look much different than the last pic I posted 8 months ago, LOL. This is now back at the top of my to-do list. I took on a job painting a 97 firebird. I dont paint too much for other people any more, just my own stuff, but this job will pay for a big chunk of the shop so I took it on. Off to the garage to wetsand and buff the car so I can get paid and get back to work on the sled shed.

Dont feel too bad, I've been planning to build a 12x20 storage shed for my sleds for over a year now. I've got most of the materials for it but somehow just haven't found the time to put it all together yet. Funny how time flies sometimes! Hopefully I'll get to it sometime in the next couple months. We'll have to see who finishes first!

I am now working on my truck repairing rear wheel well and back portions of the box.Must say auto body work does not draw me in like a magnet.I had to do some fibre glass work and did first coat of Bondo.But finding out the sanding part is boring as hell.Haven't touched it in over a week now,got to get motivated again...need some Sun and warmer weather...cloudy and rain for the past 3 weeks has put me in the Blues..
Can't wait to try that wet sand and polish trick...eventually...

I used to have a Trans Am just like that. Is that forest green? Mine was a 94.

Good luck with the shed, that is one my goals someday, to have a place to work on my projects.

well it probably isn't very exciting but since I've been waiting 7 weeks for the excavator to show it's exciting for me! I've had major drainage problems with this project being on a hillside of ledge. Basically the 28x28 pad of gravel we dug was trapped by clay and was a 28x28 pool of quicksand. Anyway he finally made it by to dig a trench around the pad and down to my drainage basin. I'm currently in the middle of a 30 day shutdown at work where I do nothing but work and sleep but rumor has it that we will have sunday off. If that's the case I'm going to lay in the drainage pipe and (if it's here) the crushed stone. Again, not very interesting I know, but I'm so damn excited..lol
001-11.jpg

002-9.jpg

003-5.jpg

In the first pic you can see my access trail to the ITS trail less than a few hundred yards away. :D

Back