96 Xt 600, is it "finicky" with a pipe?

dnale

VIP Member
I've already got the pipe (Thanks Vmax4rules) and pretty much everything to make the swap to psi twins on my 600xt. I talked to a guy locally about skis and he asked me what else I was doing and I told him about the pipes. He was cautioning me about the pipes. He said the the 96 was very finicky with jetting after pipes are installed.

Is that true?

Do I still use the settings from Max Performance (the kit that came with the pipes)?

I don't have experience jetting and I don't get to work on the sled much, so I want to waste as little time as possible.

Thanks.

i have heard that about the 600 twins with pipes, that jetting is a bear. Seems a lot of people had trouble getting them to stop burning down. Jetting would seem way to rich sometimes, then would lean burn. May have a poor scavenging design for pipes...

so is it a particular brand or is it all pipes on these 96's?

Any suggestions? Like I said, I'm a novice when it would come to tuning the jetting.

Larry at NCY has done a few of these and had good success with the GYT Twins on the 96 pipes...I have the set up if you like...but yes they can be a hell.

Pipes

I had a 95 vmax600 with SLP pipes and used their instruction for clutching and jetting (you can find it on their website) and was very happy with the performance and the predictability of starting and running good.

So should I even try this? I've spent the money. I don't want to burn the motor up though. I know there is alot of knowledge out there....

it depends if you want to wring every last ounce of power out of that thing and sacrifice the reliability, which seems to be more of a problem on the 600 twin. There are other cheaper, easier, and more reliable mods you can do to that engine such as a thin headgasket, which makes a big difference. Clutching helps that engine huge as well, but dont clutch it until all of your power-enhancing mods are done

already have the thin head gasket. Been like that since almost new actually. From what I understand the dealer did it cause my uncle-in-law complained about how it ran from the dealer.

I need it to stay reliable. I wasn't really aware of a whole lot of other mods for that motor other than porting/polishing and i'm not getting that fancy.

I've got a decent clutch set-up in it now. I've got all of the "recommended" clutch parts, helixes, jets, etc. But I am looking for opinions on whether or not I should even do this.

I have 98 XTC 600 twin and installed AAEAN pipes on it. The best advice I can tell you is install a tempa flow, this unit is easy to install and it works great. All you need to do is rejet your main's for -20 below. The tempa flow will automaticly adjust for different tempatures. My plugs are always cardboard brown color and piston wash is perfect. As far as performance it's like night and day. The other mod I would reccomend is a thin head gasket / helix package from Maximum Performance. Go to there site and it's under 600 twin performance upgrade. My sled fly's and can beat most 700.

Ok, this is advice I can listen to.

I already have the thin head gasket. The helix that came with my pipes is a maximum performance helix (the directions are max perf...)

Where would I get a temp-a-flow for the 96? I don't even know what carbs are on that thing!

Back