ski alignment

sxrextreme

im aligning my skis ...first time ive done this and what a pain in the a** .....any simple way ....i mean do you have to shim spindles and what about measuring front and back ......why cant you just measure out a 1/8 to 1/4 toe out from front bolt

the easiest way i found is to remove the skis, set it on the ground ( if you do it in the air it will be toed in at ride height!) and put a steel rod through the ski bolt holes (same size as the bolts) and adjust until it lines up.

I bought the ski alignment rod from Yamaha, it works great. It costs about the same as an alignment at the dealer and I found that the alignment will change from year to year so it is a worthwhile investment. You have to set the camber by turning the radius rods. The toe by turning the tie rods. I know you are supposed to set the toe with the sled on the ground but I found that the adjustment rod fits into the spindles when the front end is elevated as well? Good luck: DT

daytripper said:
I bought the ski alignment rod from Yamaha, it works great. It costs about the same as an alignment at the dealer and I found that the alignment will change from year to year so it is a worthwhile investment. You have to set the camber by turning the radius rods. The toe by turning the tie rods. I know you are supposed to set the toe with the sled on the ground but I found that the adjustment rod fits into the spindles when the front end is elevated as well? Good luck: DT
i never did a yamaha, just polaris. i did it in the air at first then set it down and saw it was way off! :o| i assumed all trailing arm sleds would be the same? i guess i'll find out when i do the viper.

i havent tried the bar ...does it toe out when the suspension is compressed ....i would still think you would have to measure to make sure its within specs instead of asuming or eyeballing.....im just doing straight edge and tape measure.....but left ski seems to differ from right ski not same measurement....not sure whats going on yet maybe my track is not straight but i think it is ....it shouldnt matter as long as it toes out between 1/8 to 1/4 ....im going to retry in the morning .....tips and tricks as to tape measure and straight edge would be helpful .....not gonna use the bar

alignment

without the alignment bar you can use a taunt string running lengthwise to beyond the skis and rear bumper so it just touches the outside edge of the track. Use this as a reference, make sure the handlebars are straight and adjust the toe from there. DT

the bar doesnt take into concideration the skis, ive swapped skis from side to side before and changed alignment 1/2in. measure skis to a thrust line. the thusts line of a sled is where the sled is heading caused by the track. either lay something long and straight beside the track(with track adjusted first) or use a string tied around a cinder block at each end of the sled. move the string or straight edge up against the track front and rear. you can then measure the skis from this line. put a light bungy cord on the front of the skis to take up the slack when measuring. 1/8-1/2 from the front of carbide to rear toe out is what you look for with weight on sled. when doing this balance carbides on a small piece of flat steel. this will give you a true measurment and make adjustment eisier. no sense fighting the carbide against the ground. jacking the sled up and using the bar will give you alot of tow out on a yamaha front end. push down on your sleds front end some time and watch the skis some time. adjust toe with a buddy on the sled.

ski alignment

Back