clutching a stock 2000 SX600R

daytripper

As delivered my SXR overreved and I learned to live with it. Over the years and miles it got worse as the clutches wore. It was reving as much as 9,500 at times and I finally rebuilt the clutches and added some extra weight to the tip of the weights. I bought new 8DG weights and used stock riviets in the inner hole and increased the outer riviet weight from the stock 2.4G to 2.7G now it is reving avout 8,800 to 8,900. The secondary is wrapped as delivered which is where I'd like to keep it. I'm thinking about going to 3.1G on the tip, anyone ever try this set-up? DT

Increase the inner & outer rivets by at least 1 gram.

I could tell you the exact setup I have in mine if my old computer didn't crash. Bought a new one and lost the info. What I can tell you is that Larry from North Country Yamaha can set you up with a great clutch kit for about $180. It included new weights, spring and helix. It took just a little messing with the rivits to get it dialed in really good and he included a few different rivit sizes to play with. Sorry I can't pull the exact info on the clutch but I know I wrote it down and is in the house some where?. If I find it, I will post. Check the tech page, they used to have some clutching on the SX. Makes a huge difference on this sled. Also, recommend the other mods as they really make it run well and are very simple to do.

Da fin

1gram increase = ~100rpm decrease you want to be in the 8500rpm range. What to your RPMs jump to if you pin the throttle at 30mph? how about up around your top speed?

RPM's

I think it briefly hits 9K and settles back to 8,800 or so. What I'm really looking for is more MPG. It goes 80 real easy which is plenty fast enough for me. DT

Clutch Kit

I had Larry rebuild the shocks and he did a fine job. I really don't want to spend 180 right now and am hoping to just get the rpms down using some rivits. Did the clutch kit increase your MPG's? Thanks for the tips guys, hopefully we'll have snow enough to ride here soon. DT

When I was over reving to about 8800 rpm I would get around 11-12mpg, with it spinning 8400rpm I see 13-14mpg now, the engine turns 1000rpms lower at crusing speed now. If it jumps to 9000rpm and settles back to 8800 you need more weight in the center hole.

Back