Needle Jet Question

SX700RNY

What is the easiest way to get to the needle jet to change the clip and shims. From the manuals I have, taking off the Top Cover and using a alen wrench to remove the connector looks easy, but are there any helpul hints to make this easier.

MrSled has given me and others the setup below, and I need some clarification on the needle jet setting 1/2 Shim. Since I havn't taken the needle jets out yet, It appears from the Manuals that there are 5 places for the clip and two shims, but nothing telling me exactly what each setting means. The Stock setting says 3 so I am not sure what is Mr. Sled means by 1/2 shim.

(From MrSled) I would bore the silencer, notch the reed cages and do the head gasket mod (single layer)as shown in the Tech pages. Yes you are correct on the rollers, 14.5 is stock (for 2000 SX700r). Make sure your clutches are aligned. Jet the sled to 145 in #1, 143.8 in #2&3 (Stock for 2000SX700r). 1/2 shim the needles, pilot screws at 1 3/4 , 8ab weights with 2.7 g in both holes, y-g-y primary spring (stock) , 48/43 helix , white sec spring(88 Exciter Spring) set at 0/2. You will really wake up a little monster.

At this point the only part of this I haven't done is the gasket mod and the needle jet changes. Thanks Tom (MrSled).

:rocks:

Stock rollers in the 00 700 sx-r are 16mm,s. Run the mains at 142.5 straight across.To drop the needles hold the throttle wide open to access the slide cover. You will see 2-2.5 allen screws holding the cover on. Remove the screws, slide the cover over & use needle nose pliers to pull out the slides. You can then see where the clip is set in relation to the slots. There are 3 very small washers that give you the 1/2 sizes. At #3 it means the needle is in the #3 slide spot with both washers on top. Lower the needle to the next notch with 1 washer under & 1 over to give you spot #2.5. After you get the needles removed it is a lot easier to figger everything out.

Turk,

Thanks for the response.

I double checked the Yamaha's Service Manual, 16mm is the size of the roller. I did read somewhere that the stock was 14.5 but I am not sure where. I need some advice on which rollers to use now. Should I be switching to 14.5 or keep the 16mm. How does this effect the setup above.

Thanks,

Chuck

Thanks,

16mm rollers will raise engagement & make your weight act lighter. You can compensate by adding more weight to the 1st hole & using a primary spring with less preload. The larger rollers will make the sled backshift better tho.

Back