Got some milage on it now need to tune some more

FuzzButt

Drove my XTC 80 miles or so on Friday in Grand Marais. Runs good. Considering it was in the upper 30's and the snow was terrible.

I recently got 8ab weights with 3.5 in each hole. I used 2 shims under a new WSW spring. I also replaced the 15.6mm rollers since they were worn out. And picked up a "Special" helix and clocked it to 50 degrees.

The clutch engages a bit high. Well first track movement occurs ar 4100 or so but actual movement is more like 5000 from a stop. I will be removing the shims though. I have a full shift RPM that is 7200 RPM/83 MPH or so and no RPM is over 8000 ever. Rather than 8300 @ 92 and climbing. The motor rev's up to 7800 as I am passing 70MPH and then starts dropping RPM's up thru 83 or so and finally ends up at 7200 steady at 83 with little or no further acceleration. Before with the stock 8CR's and stock weights it would pull hard to 80MPH at 8300RPM and the acceleration would slow a bit. The motor would almost hold that 8300RPM and not appear to shift out.

I do like that I am not way over on RPM's but the top speed is lower since the motor is out of the power band at full shift. The setup is great other than that. Great back shift and smooth up shift. I will figure out MPG when I refill the tank. I am please so far and a little adjustment is all I need.

I think I should be able to increase the max rpm's up to the 7800 mark rather easily from here. My 8CR's are worn too much to re-use and at $23 a piece plus rivits I think I will try the 8AB's for now.

Removing the 2 shims will lessen the preload and also lower the rate. Hopefully enough for what I am after. If not I think I might have to replace the outer 3.5gram rivit with a slightly lighter ones.

I dammed near stood it on end after a little foot tall incline and a heavy thumb.

Remove the engagement shims , wrap the secondary to at least 60 degrees. You gotta remove some tip weight....taking out about 2 grams should get you close.

Well after a bit of fun in the garage with the sled I already know it is more responsive. I wrapped the helix to 60 and removed the shims under the primary spring.

I also really cleaned the clutches. Using a stainless steel toothbrush I cleaned all wear surfaces. I used 1000 grit paper in the snout and on the sliding/bearing surfaces. Nice clean and smooth.

Now if only traction and distance in my back yard were not an issue. I can't hardly wait till my next ride the first weekend of January. Hopefully Santa brings me a 9830H camoplast track.

Back