Mtn. Viper SOS

MadViper2

This was asked me in a PM. I don't have all the right answers. I am thinking poor dealer set up to start with. I did suggest 150 mains and 45 idles with needle in 2nd clip. Can someone advise. (was just told he has carbs set up properly)
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

quote<
[A friend of mine bought a viper and wanted some more power. I'd heard so much good about the slp pipes and told him to try some of them because I was curious how they would run. It's an 04 mtn viper, everything stock, but the slp's. We just can't seem to get it to run the way that it should. We put the pipes on, jetted to slp specs (probably a little rich), It's got the stock ramps with a 3.1 gram rivet in the inner hole, nothing in the outer hole, and stock helix. It was getting beat by a stock 04 viper today. It was taching 8900rpm, but only after we tightened the secondary to 90 degrees(That's too tight). in 70, it would only tach 86-8700rpm. It just doesn't sound good and doesn't perform good. We were at 7000-8000 ft. Is there something I'm missing? We can take more weight out of the ramps, but that would leave less than the stock ones have, which doesn't sound right. SLP's chart said to put a 3.6 gram in the inner hole. If we did that, it would tach even less. We'll keep messing with it until it's right, but do you have any suggestions since you are familiar with slp's?
Thanks.]>unquote
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Thanks guys.
Gene

-------------------------
The pride of dying rich raises the loudest laugh in hell.

Yes, I wear a Modular Helmet and love it!

2003 Viper Mountain
SLP Triple Piped
Simmons skis
Minor suspension changes
Dugan Left Hand Throttle
SLP Flo-Rites
Repaired trailing arm(right side) :-)

I agree, he should find out what jetting is in it first. 150's would sound about right. Of course he needs to check the plugs to make sure. Is he getting beat in a drag race or hill climbing?
It's best to tune the rpms with the primary. By tighening the secondary spring to increase rpms, you loose some clutching efficiency. I found on my sled (also with SLPs) it liked a little less weight in the heel and more in the tip. For example instead of 3.6 in the heel and the tip empty. I would run 2.7 in the heel and .8 in the tip. It seems to allow the rpms to spool up quicker, then load the motor hard. The shift is also straighter with less top end over-rev.
For those elevations he may want to pull a couple of layer's out of the head gasket to restore some lost compression. I run 2 layer's pulled for 3000' to 8000'. Just be sure and run good premium fuel. It does help improve throttle response.
One thing to remember about less weight then stock. Is that the rpms are 400-500 higher, so even if the weight mass is lighter, the weight is producing more side force. Due to greater centrifugal force.

Last edited:
man if you're gettin beat by a stock viper you had better reclutch. throw MORE weight in the primary( in the inner hole and put some helix to it. A stock viper ain't in the world with the slps hen done right...Terry ;)!

Back