Rear Shock Replacing ????

ACE

I Am Changing The Rear Shock On A 98 Venture. What Are The Procedures And Do I Need Any Special Tools I Will Need. Do I Need To Remove Rear Suspension.

it will definately be the easiest to pull the suspension. No special tools are needed, just some metric wrenches

I just re-installed the rear suspension on one of my Sxr's. I left the rear/rear shock out untill the carriage was installed, then installed the shock. 14mm socket on an air rachet and a 14mm wrench. Took about 1/2 hour total. Rear shock is pretty easy to reach. Front/rear is another story.

take the shock and stand it in a vise. Clamp the lower eye in the vise. Take a spanner wrench and remove the jamb nut or break it loose with a hammer and flat screw driver.....measure exposed threads so your remember the spring preload. Once the jamb nut is off, grab the spring and turn it while holding the top shock eye from spinning and the spring cup nut will thread off.

poop thats a venture shock...those are the steel body shocks....you will need a way to compress the spring to remove the shock spring cup opposite the adjuster....if you dont have a spring tool it could be a major pain in the butt.

Back