oil pump tip

99VX700

I've read on this forum that some non-power-valved 700 triples experience excessive oil consumption due to a worn out oil pump tip. I seem to have the same problem and the cable is set at exactly 23mm as specified. I figure I must be running the "full open" setting described when the oil pump tip goes. My question is, what exactly is this "tip" that is referred to? Can anyone show me, give me a part # to replace, or point it out on a fiche? I'm not sure what exactly it is that causes the problem so I don't know what to fix/replace.

Greatest site ever...and the new updates rock.

I don't know of any wear problems, but you can go larger on the gap, which will reduce the amount of oil, unless the pump is shot. I am at 25mm on mine, but I also run synthetic oil

The worn part is at the end of the pin that rotates when the throttle is pulled in the pump. I have seen two out of 97 600 motors. The pump will be on full at all times when this happens. I thought it was a 97 problem only. I will try to get a photo if he still has them. I went over and looked for myself to see what was worn. Soft casting is the problem.

Ah, thanks SpartaSXr. I'll have a look tonight. Mine is on a '99 Vmax 700 that's piped and ported. Maybe I've reefed on the cables too much taking the airbox on and off so many times! All I know is that after porting and triple pipes my oil consumption has risen dramatically. Gas, too, but that was sorta expected with the porting. If you find the pics I'd love to see them. And hang onto that part, BETHEVIPER. I may need it if it's for a 700 non-power valved triple.

I've posted this several times and no one else ever mentions it. Make sure that you set your throttle cable free play to 1-2mm and then set your oil pump. Most are way out and this really increases your oil consumption. What happens is as you press on the throttle the oil pump stroke is increasing before the carb slides start to move. If your free play is around 5mm that translates into an increase of 3-4mm of oil pump stroke before you even start to open the carb slides.

Thanks, Canuck. I did read that comment from you elsewhere. Throttle free play is set. But I can't carry enough oil with me to get me through a day of riding...and Amsoil synthetic ain't cheap.

I had a 97 600sx that had this problem. They didn't come from the factory that way there is a small dowel like pin inside the pump that wore down prematurally causing the pump to run full rich. It would use a full tank of oil in 100 miles! There is really no fixing it. Yamaha does not sell any parts for the oil pump. Even if you were to try to fix it you would still need a new one to get the pin height dimension off of. I did drill out my old one and installed a dowel pin to the correct height. If I still have it you are welcome to it. I will swap you for your old one. Those pumps are pretty pricey.

the one i have is from a 2002 sxr600, sled had 1700mls on it and the back of it got a little warm sitting next to a gararge that burned.

Speed Yamaha was replacing the 97 600 pumps at no charge for 2 yrs after, or at least Yamaha was authorizing the dealer I worked at to do it.

Grapeape, yeah I tried all the dealers around me and even called Yamaha and guess what "They never heard of such a thing" Just like the pistons in the 97 600's WHAT PROBLEM ?

I have a 99 500sx that is using a ton of oil. I've had it since new and it always used alot...but the past couple seasons it killing me...I get a headace from enhaling all that crap! You mean there is no fix!? The cable is fine, I figured the pump just needed to be adjusted. I was coming on tonight to learn how lean the pump without going in to the danger zone!!!

Back