02 SRX vs 05 MACH Z, Does my SRX have a prayer?

Yamanator

BRING IT !
Ok guys, my best friend that I ride with has an 05 Mach Z and it is bone stock but runs really strong, I have an 02 SRX that is clutched, studded with 144, has transfer rods, and runs really good. We are finally going to get the chance to line them up over Christmas break and I am just hoping to keep up with him. Is this all I can look forward to or do you think if I can get him off the line I can make it hard for him to catch me. Let me know your thoughts.
Oh yeah, I am at 260 pounds in full gear and he is around 225. The last time I raced him I was on my 07 Attak, and he walked that pretty good by around 4 to 5 sled lengths. I know my SRX is a lot faster then that Attak. Let me know if anyone has raced a newer Mach on their SRX. Thanks guys, this site is the cats arsssss........ ;)!

I hate to tell you the bad news but you have no shot. Unless his Mach doesn't run right. I have a 05 Mach Z, 02 SRX, and a 2000 Thundercat. In stock form the Mach walks them all pretty easy. Last year I had some work done to the Thundercat and it could hang right with my Mach. Porting, vforce reeds, timing key, cut heads, and airbox mod. This year I put pipes on my Thundercat and I hope it beats the Mach, it should.

Things you need to understand is the SRX only has 140 hp and it's heavy. The Mach could have anywhere between 165 hp all the way up to 180, with over 120 ftlbs depending on if you have a good one. I know the SRX is a great sled for top end running but it just can't overcome the HP and torque disadvantage. It would take a highly modified SRX to run with a good running Stock Mach Z.

MAN, TUFF POST. LIKE I POSTED LAST WEEK WITH THE GUY THAT WANTED TO RACE THE 97 MACH HERE. HAVE TO BE IN '' GAME ON '' FORM TO BEAT THIS. THEY HAVE ALOT OF HP. IS IT POSSIBLE YES, IS IT A LOCK , NO!!! I HAVE RACED THEM, ALOT OF THEM HERE GET SPRAYED AND THAN YOU REALLY NEED TO CHANGE YOUR SHORTS. RUN UP AGAINST SOME ON GRASS WHERE THEY ARE VERY BEATABLE, BUT LAKE RACING DEFFERENT STORIE. POST RESULTS. 3:16 (yammie tony)

MachZ1000 said:
I hate to tell you the bad news but you have no shot. Unless his Mach doesn't run right. I have a 05 Mach Z, 02 SRX, and a 2000 Thundercat. In stock form the Mach walks them all pretty easy. Last year I had some work done to the Thundercat and it could hang right with my Mach. Porting, vforce reeds, timing key, cut heads, and airbox mod. This year I put pipes on my Thundercat and I hope it beats the Mach, it should.

Things you need to understand is the SRX only has 140 hp and it's heavy. The Mach could have anywhere between 165 hp all the way up to 180, with over 120 ftlbs depending on if you have a good one. I know the SRX is a great sled for top end running but it just can't overcome the HP and torque disadvantage. It would take a highly modified SRX to run with a good running Stock Mach Z.
Im throwing the BS card because half the Mach Z's out there run like dog shit! Ive personally handed my fair share of newer Mach's their azzes. If your SRX is up to spec on everything and is a good running sled at heart you'll be in the race, don't let this guy tell you theres no chance, just because it sounds like his srx runs like poop.

P.S are you by chance the yamanator that had the Rx-1 with that crazy loud exhaust a few years ago?

Last edited:
TopGunnSrx said:
Im throwing the BS card because half the Mach Z's out there run like dog shit! Ive personally handed my fair share of newer Mach's their azzes. If your SRX is up to spec on everything and is a good running sled at heart you'll be in the race, don't let this guy tell you theres no chance, just because it sounds like his srx runs like poop.

P.S are you by chance the yamanator that had the Rx-1 with that crazy loud exhaust a few years ago?

Hey TopGunn, yes that was me with the RX-1 and the exhaust, loved that sled and that sound. People for sure knew when I was coming down the trail. I sold that sled to a fellow TY member way up in Canada and he is lake racing it up there. I have had 3 sleds since that one, 05 Supercharged RX1, then swapped that system to an 04 Warrior, then went to a 07 Attak. Now I am back on a 02 SRX that runs really good, it is up at H&H Performance in North Branch getting all ready for this year. If Howard Haack can't get it truely dialed in then no one can. Looking forward to running my friends Mach. I have already beat a 97 Mach that was done up pretty good, he got the jump but at the 100mph mark I was 1 sled ahead of him. I will keep you posted as to what happens over the Holidays. :rockon:

A GUY POSTS UNDER THE NAME '' MACHZ1000 '', WHO YOU THINK HE IS ROOTING FOR lol. I MUST SAY THOUGH I FIND IT VERY HARD TO BELIEVE YOU HAD TO TO ALL THAT TO YOUR THUNDERCAT TO BEAT YOUR '' STOCK '' MACH ? I BEEN AROUND AFEW HERE IN NY THAT HAVE 05 MACH 1000,s AND THEY WERE DOGS UNTIL CLUTCHING WAS CHANGED AND PIPED. SO WHO KNOWS. 3:16 (yammie tony)

We do a lot of lake running on Otis Reservoir in MA. That is where we spend all of our time since we don't get that much snow around here. And I can tell you there is not a stock sled that will run with my Mach on the lake. The only modification I have is heavier clutch pins. Mine has gone 124mph on GPS and on Radar, and it gets there fairly quick.

There are not that many Srx's around here anymore because most people upgraded to newer sleds. And I can tell you that the guys who upgraded to RX1s and Apex's did gain a little suspension but lost quite a bit of speed. Most of them run between 110-112. The Srx's are between 115-118. I have seen one go 125. It was lowered,clutched and geared way up. It took him about 2 miles to hit these speeds but he did.

As far as my Thundercat not being able to beat the Mach. It just couldn't hang with the Mach in a drag race when it was stock. I'm sure top speed numbers were close maybe the Thundercat had a little advantage way up top but it would never catch the Mach. This year I'm hoping the Tcat will hit 130. And 2 years ago I ran SRX Magic with his 780 SRX and the Thundercat could walk him all over the place. Bottom, and on Top.

This is my first year owning a SRX I have always liked the look and the sound of these sleds. Plus from what I have heard they are very reliable, and good on gas.I actually just put the Mach Z up for sale. I'm a little worried about the reliability of this sled and I have read many horror stories over on DooTalk. I'm going to try and get the SRX out this week. It's all stock with the exception of a little weight added to the primary. I also have a clutch kit from Magic that I might throw in there.

sell that Machz quick.I know a guy here with one who grenaded the motor to bits running out on the lake full bore.That was the last of that sled..he is back on a 800 now.

MACH, I AM VERY FAMILIAR WITH OTIS RESERVIOR AND I DO KNOW TYLER. I BELIEVE THAT WAS HIS 780 VIPER YOUR TALKING ABOUT BUT I COULD BE WRONG. I THINK HIS SRX WAS A 8 SECOND TAR SLED, HARD TO REMEMBER. IN A WAY HERE WERE SORTA OF COMPAREING APPLES TO ORANGES. IT WOULD BE HARD FOR ANY 698 cc SLED TO RUN WITH A 1000 cc. ESPECIALLY 1/4 MILE OR FARTHER. I WILL INVITE YA THOUGH TO RUN A SRX IN 500 F.T. OR 660. GRASS OR ICE. 3:16 (yammie tony)

You should come up to Otis some time. Ross AKA OtisRX keeps the track in great shape. He usually sets up a couple events during the winter and it's a good time. There are usually a lot of big turbo sleds up there and those sleds run. I don't go anywhere near them, they make everyone look slow running 140+ in 660.

As for Ty 2 years ago he had a 1998 or 99 Srx with a 780 big bore kit in it. I think it was from Maxximum Performance. It was a trail sled with stock pipes. That guy knows how to make an SRX run. When he first got it the sled was a real turd but when he got it figured out it ran real strong. I sent him back to the trailer many times with the Thundercat. But in the end he could hang with the Thundercat for prob 660. Like you said it's not easy to make a 700 or 780 run with a 1000 especially in a long run.

I can also say there was a Monster XP800 from Land and Sea that was fast. He could holeshot my Thundercat and stay in front till about 1000 feet then I would pass him.I have no clue what was done to this sled but it was very fast for an XP as most of them are real slow. I know he was running race fuel in it and he weighed about 120lbs.

I was the guy wondering about that MACH Z..I ran against that 97 mach z yesterday on the lake and he had me bye about a half a ski the first run. The second and third time I had him bye about a sled length. I think he jumped me a tiny bit the first run. LOL If that was my mach I don't think it would be the same story. Seems like he pulls on me after a 100mph but I think he gets scared haha

powerssrx700 said:
I was the guy wondering about that MACH Z..I ran against that 97 mach z yesterday on the lake and he had me bye about a half a ski the first run. The second and third time I had him bye about a sled length. I think he jumped me a tiny bit the first run. LOL If that was my mach I don't think it would be the same story. Seems like he pulls on me after a 100mph but I think he gets scared haha
GOOD JOB!!

most of the time its about who puts the time in to set their sled up and having a larger set of balls than your competitor helps

bluemonster1 said:
sell that Machz quick.I know a guy here with one who grenaded the motor to bits running out on the lake full bore.That was the last of that sled..he is back on a 800 now.

Thanks for being so optimistic. I would love to sell it but have only had 3 calls. It's in mint condition with 2000 miles. Seems like nobody wants these big twins. They have a bad reputation.

If, you got Howard tuning in that SRX, all I can say is I got my money on the srx, those twin mach z"s can be beat, I have done it time and time again, and Howard will get you there plus he's justan awesome guy to talk to. Holeshot the shit outta that Mach and he is done.

Depends how much tuning he has done. In box stock form I think they were soft. I ran dead even on a LONG lake with one with my stock Viper. I know there is alot left on the table though.

yeah guys my friend with the 05 Mach has blown it up twice already. His sled is bone stock and the top half has been redone a few times. Don't get me wrong it runs really good, but he only beat my stock Attak by 4 sleds. I know my SRX would just spank my old Attak, this is why I am thinking if I could get him off the line then I might have a chance at holding him off in a quarter mile race. My sled really seems to get it's legs under it after it get's my large butt moving. 50 mph to 100 this thing just rips, I guess I am just going to have to make sure I have the Bender transfer rods set at the exact right position and then jump the heck out of him off the line. If I don't do it to him he won't have any problem doing it to me. It's a good thing we are the best of friends...... ;)!

Everyone have a safe and wonderfull Christmas, and I will let you all know what happens after the first of the year.

God Bless. :D

journeyman said:
Depends how much tuning he has done. In box stock form I think they were soft. I ran dead even on a LONG lake with one with my stock Viper. I know there is alot left on the table though.

You must have raced the slowest Mach Z 1000 twin of all time. A stock Viper won't go much faster than 105mph.

Back