adding thumbwarmer variable resistor

BLUEBALLER

I have a 2000 sxr and would like to install a separate temp. controller for my thumbwarmer. has anyone done this? run into any problems? I have part #'s for the resistor and the knob, just wondering how you wired it up and if it solved the problem of burning your thumb while your hands freeze.

I tried it on my 97 SX700 and couldn't figure out how to make it work. What I ended up doing and it was cheaper was to just put a small toggle switch in for the thumb warmer and shut it off when it got too hot.

My wife was having the same problem with her SX500R. I had an aftermarket thumb warmer kit, that was never installed. I used it minus the thumb warmer element, hooked it in line with the sleds stock thumb warmer and put the HI/LOW/OFF toggle switch in the dash just left of the handle bars. Now she can have hot hands and a warm thumb.

I don't know for sure but when I hooked up the variable resistor in line with the thumb warmer it also cut down on the current going to the hand warmers since they are on the same circuit as the thumb warmer. I think you might have the same problem with the hi/lo switch. That is why I went with the on/off switch to the thumb warmer.

Back