Compound Twin Turbo Vmax-4

Quadzillaracer

"Compound" Turbo Vmax-4

Well the new 2011 Turbo Vmax-4 build is almost done and ready to hit the Track Dyno. I figured I would finally release our new creation and what I've been building/designing since last spring. This particular turbo/engine setup has an incredible amount of time, thought, research, and development to get to this stage (over the past 2-years). I have had the joy of working with some of the most cutting edge Import Car builders and Diesel Truck pullers to create this new setup into a snowmobile.

So with that said, I designed and built a "Compound Twin Turbo" Vmax-4. This is the first of its kind in a sled. Many sled builders over the recent and past years have built "Sequential Twin Turbo" snowmobiles to increase spool rate over a large turbo setup, this setup has been a bandaid of sorts for a poorly sized setup. Where we are at from last year at DynoTech, the particular Garrett/Tial hybrid turbo was too small to make over 36 psi of boost and the compressor side could no longer support our CFM requirements to flow more air for psi/boost. The next step in turbo configurations we tried created to much initial lag and hurt top end mph due to spool rate and the time it took to acheive the correct pressure ratios. I won't get into specifics about the functioning of our setup other than to say I have the best of both worlds now!

I can say that this is the first of its kind and the idea has been thrown around in the past by others but the real benefit comes for those looking at 40 psi+ of boost and the system isn't really practical for those under 35 psi of boost where a single is fine. We are using multiple inter-stage cooling plus the large intercooler setup. It is the largest Garrett/Tial hybrid turbo ever used on a snowmobile. So you've seen it here first, the new setup has the airflow capabilities of over 750 h.p. with the spool up of a small frame turbocharger (I will be working towards 650 h.p.).

Here is a quick picture attachment before the final disassembly for polished Ceramic Coating (sorry the sled is dusty from fabrication)! God Bless The Vmax-4.

Justin Durand

Attachments

• Unnamed[1].jpg
    Unnamed[1].jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:

Simply awesome. You've really raised the bar with this one. I can't wait to see the results on the speed runs this winter.

Any predictions on what sort of speeds you should be capable of or aiming for in 1000' with this new creation?

Vroom, Vroom is all I can say.

Shooting for 175 mph in 1000' @ hopefully around 600 h.p... then we'll just see what happens from that point. This particular engine build is internally very stout and makes our DynoTech engine build look like tinker toys.

Where are you going to run this thing. I will plan a roadtrip to see this thing run. Amazing!

Meat

I will be doing the final install of the exhaust/turbo induction system next weekend...the ceramic coater just finished coating the turbo housings and exhaust system yesterday, should look very sharp!

Around the 13th I will be taking it up to Glenn Hall's track dyno to dial in for the speed runs. The sled will be ran with NSSR for their 1000' speed run series, however, I don't know if I'll be ready for the first race on the 15th (the way the weather is, there might not be a race), so I might go to the 1000' speed run in St. Germaine, WI on the 22nd to make a few passes before Menomonie's NSSR race.

I ran 163.636 mph last season at NSSR's final race in Chetek, WI w/ only 28 psi of boost for 475 h.p. so I can't wait to see what a true 600+ h.p. will do!

Justin

Last edited:
Quadzillaracer said:
I will be doing the final install of the exhaust/turbo induction system next weekend...the ceramic coater just finished coating the turbo housings and exhaust system yesterday, should look very sharp!

Around the 13th I will be taking it up to Glenn Hall's track dyno to dial in for the speed runs. The sled will be ran with NSSR for their 1000' speed run series, however, I don't know if I'll be ready for the first race on the 15th (the way the weather is, there might not be a race), so I might go to the 1000' speed run in St. Germaine, WI on the 22nd to make a few passes before Menomonie's NSSR race.

I ran 163.636 mph last season at NSSR's final race in Chetek, WI w/ only 28 psi of boost for 475 h.p. so I can't wait to see what a true 600+ h.p. will do!

Justin

An observation.

I wonder how much more interest there would be here in this phenom if his success and accomplishments were based off a Yamaha tripple????

opsled

PS. 4 is more and more is better.

I just became slightly aroused...

Good work I'm impressed and that comes from a guy that works at a AG shop with hotfarm to superstock pullers in it everyday....

opsled said:
An observation.

I wonder how much more interest there would be here in this phenom if his success and accomplishments were based off a Yamaha tripple????

opsled

PS. 4 is more and more is better.

I think it is more cool that that it is the first of its kind being built on the first of its kind :) the vmax 4 sure set the benchmark!!

Justin, if you get that thing dialed in this season, you should consider coming up here to North Bay for our 2000' radar runs, for the Guiness Book of World Records on March 13th and 14th. I'm sure we'll see some 200 mph speeds this season up here, or be very close.

valin said:
Justin, if you get that thing dialed in this season, you should consider coming up here to North Bay for our 2000' radar runs, for the Guiness Book of World Records on March 13th and 14th. I'm sure we'll see some 200 mph speeds this season up here, or be very close.

Everything (turbos/induction and exhaust system) arrived yesterday from being ceramic coated so I should be able to have this thing ready by the end of the weekend. It'll be ready without a doubt, although I'm already going to update turbos again over the summer. I don't think I will be making any North Bay Speed Runs, just to busy with work this winter...put it on my bucket list. My first NSSR speed run for me is set for Menomonie, WI at the end of January so I might try the 1/4 mile attempt, this new setup should rip in a 1/4 mile!

Back