Another carb boot problem........Doo of course

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
I have a bud with an 01 MXZ 800X,nice sled even if it is a Doo,rides nice and handles great but last season he started having starting issues with it.Pulling it over like 20 times without so much as a kick,he actually started carrying around ether to start it with.I KNOW right?
So finally I got at him and we started looking into what might be causing this,actually it was after I posted on here and someone suggested leaking carb boots.We tore into it and one of the first things I checked was fuel flow from the pump to the carbs as he pulled it over.Well there was hardly any so immediately I figured the pulse line was bad but we checked it and it was fine so we yanked the pump apart and everything there seemed good.Come to find out the reeds were not seating enough to allow a good vacuum for the pulse line,weird to me because I'd never seen this before but with the history of Doo and their shoddy carb boots I should have never over looked this especially after someone had suggested it here.
So my bud is trying to figure out how to fix this without spending much coin,did I mention he's cheap?,and through another friend of ours he finds a used set of boots which the guys gives him and he's happy as a clam.We check them all over and don't see anything wrong with them but he uses some sealant on a few areas anyway,we put them on get everything back together and she is running like a champ again.Problem solved or so we thought.He calls me the other day to ask what would cause the engine to idle up as he leans on the carbs and I said right off the bat it's got to be a bad boot letting air around the seal.So he takes it apart and sure enough one boot is cracked but I think I finally have him talked into spending the money for set of V Force which he really wanted in the first place but was too cheap to buy last year.Hopefully this will cure the carb boot problem on this sled.

What really amazes me is that for HOW many years now Doo has had this issue with the carb boots and have yet to fix it.Well I say that mabey the new XPs wont have the same problem but you'd almost think that Doo would have recognized this 15-20 years ago and found another vendor to make the rubber boots.I mean it's not like this is an isolated problem I can count about 8-10 Doos around here with that very same thing.

I have helped diagnose and fix this issue on friends Doos...they all seem to have it! The quickest and most cost effective way, IMO, to cure this problem is to buy a set on VFORCE or Boyesen cages...they come complete boot and all.[I like the Boysen Rage Cages on the Doos]

JM.02c

Bob

Back