cool piston pics

BigTimeFarmer

first off, it's a polaris 600 and it's not mine so thank god it's not my problem but i was still intrigued. i've never seen a piston look like that before. he figures the ring ends broke off and wore those grooves in the piston. had to be something. i figured everyone likes pictures of wrecked pistons as long as they're not your own.

Attachments

• IMG00036-20110102-1850 [800x600].jpg
    IMG00036-20110102-1850 [800x600].jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG00037-20110102-1851 [800x600].jpg
    IMG00037-20110102-1851 [800x600].jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG00038-20110102-1851 [800x600].jpg
    IMG00038-20110102-1851 [800x600].jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 21

BigTimeFarmer said:
first off, it's a polaris 600 and it's not mine so thank god it's not my problem but i was still intrigued. i've never seen a piston look like that before. he figures the ring ends broke off and wore those grooves in the piston. had to be something. i figured everyone likes pictures of wrecked pistons as long as they're not your own.

If it's a monoplock triple check to make sure the wrist pin C clips are still in place. They extended the warranty for that problem and after a long drawnout battle I finally settled with machining/parts costs and lawyer's fees.

It was the reason I switched to Yamaha.

what do cylinders look like? kinda strange but the other piston looks like it has the same witness mark in the same place

didn't see the cylinders but the good side looked ok i guess. we also noticed the identical wear on the front of the pistons. the pistons are stock he said they put new rings on it at the begining of last season. they must've screwed something up. could this have been caused by a bad end gap? rings put in upside down?

is that the pin location on both sides? could have been to tight a ring gap or defective rings? were cylinders in spec. a tight ring gap and a worn cylinder may cause that.

Dansvan said:
Looks like the pin that keeps the rings from rotating came out.

ya, both of them.

it also looks like the cheaper spi pistons as well, could very well be the reason, you get what you pay for.

mrviper700 said:
ya, both of them.

it also looks like the cheaper spi pistons as well, could very well be the reason, you get what you pay for.

as far as i know they are oem pistons, they were never removed just reringed

no1chevyboy said:
is that the pin location on both sides? could have been to tight a ring gap or defective rings? were cylinders in spec. a tight ring gap and a worn cylinder may cause that.

that's my guess.

Looks like this was easily preventable, but steps were skipped and this happened.

This can happen to any motor if corners are cut.

The ragged edge on the crown of that piston leads me to think it had gotten very hot at some point in it's life. Those pins are steel, piston aluminum. The pins are pressed in (locktight too?) and a heat cycle that was beyond safe limits could have disrupted the quality of that pin fit??

Just a thought,

opsled

mrviper700 said:
ya, both of them.

Lost the pins on a couple spi's before, would never use them again. Happened in about 100 miles of riding.

i think to tight might do that.or may be deffective rings out of round at ends or wrong step for pin? just seems odd that both pistons have witness marks at the ring gap.

maybe they forgot to lube the rings with some oil during installation. when installing the cylinders.

Last edited:
no1chevyboy said:
i think to tight might do that.or may be deffective rings out of round at ends or wrong step for pin? just seems odd that both pistons have witness marks at the ring gap.

I know. I think he should consider the other side is shot too. The real funny thing is that it lasted so long before it finally puked. They did the ring job last year.

Back