Best Belts to Use???

ryanwillden

I need a new belt for my 93 V-max 4. The Factory belt has the cogs on top to help keep the belt cooler. However, the new Dayco Ultimax 3 belt has the same design. I was juts wondering if anyone has used them, and if so what your opinions are of how good they are. The factory belt is $120 and the Dayco Ultimax 3 only runs $52. Any ideas?

I just bought a new ultamax for mine . I havn't tried it yet . This was
disscused on ty forums a while back .About half for yamaha and half for
dayco . I got the impression that you couldn't tell the difference . If I cant
tell the difference I go with cheap . It leaves me with more money for gas.

Yeah, $120 is pretty hard to swallow for something that needs to be replaced once a season. I hear they have a pretty good warranty also.

Do you also have a V-max 4 or something different?

I ride a Vmax4 and everyone else that I know that ride them agree that the Yamaha belt is the only way to go. I have heard some very isolated cases of people having good luck with the dayco belt on Vmax4's but in most cases you'll shread em within a few hundred miles. Remember that you're playing with some serious horsepower. Also if your clutches are alighned right you should easily be able to run more than one season on the Yamaha belt. I have 2100 miles on my current belt and it is still fine. The best belt to use is the 800 belt, it is the 8BU prefix, good luck.

Just wanted to add that I believe you can still get the 750 belt which is the 89A prefix for a little less. I think $75, and it will still hold up well, however you will be leaving some performance behind. The 8BU belt is a softer compound which works well with these sleds, $120 sounds a little pricey, usually they run around 108 bucks, might want to try a different source! :D

I ride a Venture 600 twin , it has smart carbs and the front of the carbs get full of belt dust . The harder compoundon the ultra max III is suposed to help with that problem . The yamaha dn8 is similar but more money .

best belts to use

I have to agree with mr sled,stay with the yamaha belt. i have a 2001 srx 8000 km and just replaced the belt.if your going through belts the problem lyes some were else

I'm not going through belts necessarily. I just had the clutches aligned and adjusted, and need a new belt. Just not sure if I can affor $110 for a new belt after just having it fixed. I will call around and see how much I can get it for locally.

Thanks for the input.

best belts to use

i hear you it won't hurt to put the cheaper belt on it just might work as good the ultra max belts are really hard

I run the dayco ultimax2 on my 154hp Bender piped Viper and have had zero issues with it and I ask alot from my belt due to the conditions that I ride in if you take care of them they will last more than one season. you need to wash with hot soap and water on a regular basis keep it clean of belt dust. I had over 1200 miles on mine before I blew it due to neglegence(90mph when cold)

Yamaha Belts!

I tried the Ulta-max..It just plain sucked..My top end suffered and I blew it when I was trail riding and when it blew it damn near took out my coolant hose shield and coolant hoses in the process.I;m sticking with the OEM yamaha belt...Thats just my opinion!

best belts to use

don't forget your clutching is done with that belt on a stock machine.and bender clutching is done with yamaha belts

Anyone looking for a great price on the OEM 8BU Yamaha belt or any OEM belt for that matter call Port Yamaha. I don't know the price off hand (not at work) but I know we have a smoking price on them. Ask for Kevin

I tried running a ultimax on my Vmax-4 and ended up replacing both halves of the primary clutch. I can't say if it was the belts fault but the inner sheeve of the primary clutch disintigrated and when I took it apart I found a crack in the outer sheeve. I feel it was a heat related problem.

I've also had problems with the Dayco and Gates belts on my wifes 500xt.

All these stories are making me happy that I decided to stick with the factory belt... :lol: Thanks for all the feedback.

Back