Belt Sqeeking And Needle Question

SX700R RIDER

I have a 2000 SX 700 R that I let warm up, go out, and ride for five to ten minutes then when I let it idle the belt starts to squel. Only at idle... For the needle question, I have the 142.5 main jets needles in the third clip position with one washer under and one over. I want to go to position 2.5 because it still seems rich in the mid-range. What tempature would this be good for? I ride in Michigan and do not want to burn it up. Mostly long trail rides. In the mid-range that's why this scares me???

Thanks

Most sled come from the factory jetted for -40, that's why they always run rich. I jetted down one size and dropped the needle like you are suggesting and have ridded in temps as low as -35 and was OK. Just carry the tools to change back if required and keep an eye on your plugs.

you need to remove 1 washer from all 3 bolts on the back side of your secondary. The belt is sitting to high and thus squeeling at idel. Maxdlx

Sounds like your clutches are not aligned properly. I had the same problem with the belt squealing at idle after it was warmed up. I bought the sled-pro alignment tool and now I have no more squeal.

I'm with maxdlx, not enough belt deflection. You will damage (groove) primary sheaves if you don't correct it.

Back