think i have clutch trouble?

sponge

Today I went sleddin with my buddies. I have a 2000 700 sxr. We put on a little over a 100 miles. I noticed a grumbling sound, coming from the left side around the clutches. It almost sounds like your driving on pavement but not. (the best way i can describe it) I noticed this noise when we were going realatively slow. I dont hear it Idling but only after i have started moving. At high speed its hard to tell if it still does it or not with the noise of the engine. It does not seem to affect the driving but i dont want to do any damage. The primary also squeels a little bit when idling. Has anyone experienced these problems and help. Would appreciate it. Sponge :yam:

Check the jackshaft bearing. It is the bearing behind the secondary clutch. With out being there this is where I would look 1st.

Did you change the belt, sound like you might have the wrong belt on it, if not take the belt off and check the jackshaft bearing.

Also inspect the primary and secondarys and see if they're working properly,put it on a stand and run it and have a listen if you got a stethoscope or a long screw driver, with the belt on listen to the jackshaft bearing.Possible the jackshaft bearing is gone and throwing out the belt alignment, causing the squeel. WARNING DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME !!!!
;):D

Just a thought.

Yeah the last time I had that happen to meon my srx 600, I could smell my belt. I lifted the hood to check it out; brand new belt was smoking, I was like, "what the hell is going on here." Then I looked closer, my primary clutch was cracked from the top and almost to the shaft! I was like thank god that didnt let go when I was driving at a 100mph

jwiedmayer said:
Driveaxle bearing sounds like that too.
Hey I was thinking the same thing. Had this happen to my wifes XTC. Thought it was the clutch, only to find out that it was the drive axle, which hotter than #$%&* and melted the driver next to it. Something to check next time you run it. Soc

Back