97 SX700 Clutch and Carb Questions

70boss302

Last year I bought a 97 SX700 which has the PSI MODBLASTER pipes
with changes to the carbs and primary clutch. I have been in the process
of putting things back to stock.

From reading this website's tech pages and my shop manual it seems
like I can just remove the carb rack from the sled and put the clips,
fuel screw and main jet back to the stock setting.

I'm not sure about the primary. I know I have to replace the spring.
Can I use an impact wrench to remove the primary. Also, do I need that
clutch holding tool to be able to change the spring?

By the way. The PSI pipes will be for sale shortly. As soon as I figure out
what they are worth. They are supposedly 1 season old. All parts are there
including the instruction manual.

Thanks,
Tim

hey what size jets do you have in it now. I have a stock set 143.8, 145, 145. Will trade you even up if they are some I need. AAlso what does it have for pilots. I need some 52.5 or 55s. Thanks Maxdlx

The only tool you need to change the spring is a clutch puller. Whether you use an impact wrench or not depends on how much the clutch is stuck to the shaft. A little grease in the hole prior to threading in the puller and you should be able to pop the clutch using a ratchet or wrench.

You don't need to remove the primary from the crankshaft to change the spring or weights. Remove the cover bolts slowly and evenly so it doesn't bind on the shaft or have the spring put uneven stress the cover. If for some reason you're using a long high rate spring and have trouble rethreading the bolts get 3 longer bolts to pull the cover in evenly until you can thread in the originals and re-assemble.

Uggg

Thanks for the info guys. Since I posted this message I have
tried and learned a little bit. The clutch on my 97 SX700 says
Polaris on it. I thought I have read somewhere that the SX700
used a Polaris primary. My Yamaha dealer says I'm crazy. They say
the SX uses a YPR or YPZ clutch. They sold me a puller for that
clutch but it does not seem to work with my clutch. It seems like
it is a little too long. If the clutch in the tech section is an SX700
clutch then I can say that my sled has a different clutch on it because
mine doesn't look anything like the one in the picture.

One of you asked about jets. I do not know what's in there yet. I would
be happy to give you the jets that I take out when I put the stockers in.

70boss302 Hey it was me asking about the jets. i will send you some stock ones too if you need them. if that clutch says polaris on it, some one has changed it to one. If you check out ebay or ask on here there are alot of them around to put a stock yamaha back on it. Maxdlx

You have to get a Polaris clutch puller as the threads on the Primary are differnt than the Yamaha threads.

Or you cud try this: take the bolt out, fill with grease, and find a bolt that is longer , thread in until she pops off,,........works like a charm ( hydraulics at its finest)

That Polaris primary is a common upgrade on Yamaha's. Parts prices (springs, weights) are a lot less than Yamaha prices, and it's said to generate better belt squeezing force. If you want a good setup for it, contact Hartman Inc.

a polaris puller will NOT work the way it comes for pulling the polaris primary off of the yamaha, it needs a little fabricationg first. The ends of them are too big to fit in the yamaha crank

Back