Yamaha Synergy

Wayne084

Well, I've already posted my misadventures of crashing my SRX (http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/showthread.php?t=77428), an then my attempt to buy another machine to drop my motor into and get right back out (http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/showthread.php?t=77539). Now, it's time to bite the bullet and start rebuilding.

I sort of have mixed emotions about the whole thing. At first I was pretty disappointed and sort of panicking to try to make something happen and get right back out on the trail, however it's become pretty obvious to me that that's not going to be realistic. Now I've come to the realization that I've got 300 days to get my sled up and running. After dealing with the initial disappointment, I have to admit that I'm actually sort of excited about the whole thing. Lately I really haven't had any real outlet that I've been able to be creative and it was starting to get a little boring, and now I've got an opportunity to bring my sled back to life using whatever hybrid of parts or setups I choose.

Since my last thread about my 800 mile trip to go look at a pile of scrap aluminum, I've had the opportunity to make yet another 800+ mile trip to Houlton ME to have a look to see what Scott White (BeTheViper) had for parts. It was great to have so many different possibilities and combinations of parts to choose from. I ended up getting the bulkhead from a Viper so that I could long travel the front suspension and also go with a wider ski stance, a tunnel and mono shock skid from an Apex and all the black plastic from a 98 SRX Mountain, and all the other miscellaneous suspension parts that I had ripped off when I crashed. I know I'm probably not going to end up with as great of a handling sled as a stock srx (but hopefully really close), or a deep powder mountain machine, but the goal is to end up with a really great trail sled since that is what 90% of the riding I do is on the trails. The other 10% is what got me in this predicament in the 1st place.

Anyway, I'll periodically post some pics of my progress and muddling. I'm definitely not the most experienced at this sort of thing (thankfully this site is available), so if anyone has any advice or ides about the things I'm doing and would like to share, I would love to hear it.

Wayne

PS. Check my want add to see if you have any parts that I need (http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/showthread.php?p=516730&posted=1#post516730)

Last edited:

Well here's the sled the night of the crash.
P1000207.jpg

Here's how it sits today.
P1000214.jpg

I got the viper bulkhead removed from the tunnel.
P1000217.jpg

Got it cleaned up a bit.
P1000218.jpg

Well, it's not a whole lot of progress, but I'm still pretty happy because now it's on to the building stage instead of the tear down stage.

Dang! You go to town. Good luck and keep up the good work. If you have any parts to sell let me know. I want to add more blue to my '98.

Wayne, you goober, I can't believe you didn't build this sled, now you have trashed a doo, sold that and back on a yamaha. I told you you would be back.

Back