Kal-Haven and Timber Ridge areas, MI

srx700c

VIP Lifetime Member
Sat afternoon 1/22: Kal Haven was in pretty good shape considering the lack of good snowfall we've had in SW MI. Middle of the trail could have used more snow but there was decent loose snow off to the sides. The relatively light snowfall so far has helped keep the moguls down though, and the groomers have been out too. Cornfields are starting to smooth out a bit finally, the woods North of Timber Ridge towards Allegan were snirty, and bumpy like usual.

Saw quite a few Yamahas, both 2 & 4 stroke, even a few pogos, although I was surprised by the lack of sleds in general, especially now that we finally have some snow to ride on. I normally see more of the other 3 mfgs and less of the Yammi's. Maybe the others are broken. (now that I say that, I did stop at a friend 's house from trail, he was in the garage helping a buddy replace the motor in an 03 doo 600, crank bearing went out around 3k, they suspect the po never took care of it).

If any TY'ers were out there, hope you had as much fun as I did!
Ron

That's in my neck of the woods Ron. I have access to the Kal-Haven exactly 3 miles from my house but haven't had a chance to go there this year yet.

The Kal-Haven is perfect for the Vmax4...normally pretty smooth and straight.

Kal-Haven was awesome today!! Some grooming from Gobles east and none to the west but LOTS of drifts....pretty cool, even on a Vmax4. It should be good through the rest of the week but will be heavilly travelled by the weekend I would expect.

I just read about this trail...where do you start and what are the conditions now? thanks

Allseason - glad you had a chance to get out when we had some good snow. I was out of town then and didn't get back until right before the meltdown, but I caught a little of it there at the end.

Viper - sorry I missed your post until now, I haven't been keeping up with the trail conditions much, since, well, the conditions haven't been good here since the big meltdown. It took all of last week to build up a little snow, I went out Saturday night to check the trail after the light snowfall during the day, wasn't much there so you didn't miss anything.

The trail is a linear state park (old railbed runing mostly East-West) for walking/biking, etc, and snowmobiling on some of it in the winter. Snowmobile parking on one end in Kalamazoo near US131, and at the other end in South Haven. The state trail system running North-South crosses it at the snowmobile club in Gobles, with parking there as well. The Kal-Haven trail closes at 10pm at night, and reopens at I think 8am the next morning. It is patrolled once in awhile.
There's likely a lot more info available online about the park/trail than I can post here, feel free to search and/or contact me off list with anything specific that I may be able to help with.

Ron

Back