Exciter -89 Goes Mountian

prankster

Hey
I´m a Swedish guy who´s been a huge fan of the Exciter since Bender kicked *** on the tracks in the late -80:s, last year i finally bought one of my own. It´s a very nice sled with quite good performance and very easy to handle. Unfortunatelly it has it´s limitations outside the path right? I wanted to change that and make something of my own, something funny with a modern touch.

I decided to start my mods in photoshop, just to get my thoughts down in something concrete. The result became a mix between an exciter and a v-max. A slightly modernized classic with a mountian touch. This is what i´m planning to build:

This is what i started with: A 1989 Exciter, quite good for it´s age. The previous owner put Öhlins shocks all the way around and purschased it with a psi single exhaust and maximum bore.

I started to tear it down just to see what needed to be done, it was quite alot actually... The exhaust neede to be welded and repainted, it sounded terribly which was´nt that strange though the exhaustbushing was in really bad shape...

After a little tlc, it became a more beatiful sight and hopefully i can get rid of my earplugs:)

When the exhaust was redone i decided to get rid of the oilinjection and all the hoses. I put the airbox in the trash and went for unifilters instead. Finally i put some alubandage on the exhaust (which was one hell of a job)

When i looked at it something was missing... I wanted a more modern look but i did´nt want to take away the classic characteristics such as the "starwars" front. I decided to buy a 6 inch barriser and a fatbar handle. I also bought new handwarmers and some other stuff that needed to be replaced

It was´nt that easy to extend and hide all the cables, but i did the best i could and the result became pretty good anyway.

Last edited:
Now it´s time for extension and that usually involves a skidchange. I bought a v-max 600 136" skid earlier which i´m planning to use for this project. It had no rear shocks and they where quite hard to find so today i decided to try a combo. I use the longer rails from the v-max skid together with the suspension of the stock skid. I think this actually might work:)

Thanx! Early this morning i went out to the garage to replace some parts in the skid which was a very sad sight... Some of the wheels were really damage and the front shock is probably stock-89;)

My brother also fixed a new axel for me and restored the rear adjustable öhlin shock. Now i just have to find a good fiche so i can figure out where all the parts was from the beginning. In the middle of all this kaos i can´t help to ask myself if i took water over my head this time;)

In one pic Ur coil is sitting by the oil tank, that's different than my cousins exciter, is that a Swedish thing?

Thanx for your feedback! I was planning to get rid of the airbox permanently and use uni filters instead. However the coil is attached on top of it which in the end made me save a bit of it. I don´t know if this placement is typical for swedish exciters or not. My model has another funny detail too (some kind of decompression device) I´m trying to get rid of that too, just need to find right bolts to cover their holes. Tonight i´ll continue with the skidchange, more pics coming up!

Well my friends it´s time for the exciter saga to continue, I had some progress with my skidwork yesterday. I got a match between the v-max rails and my old exciter suspension. I totally mixed parts between the two skids and ended up with a hybrid which is almost done.

But... You have all heard about Murphy and his law right? Of course something always have to **** up in the progress. I noticed this in my test assembly phase:

It has to be straighten out real bad, this was probably one of the reasons why the shafts looked like they looked. (But what do i know,i´m just a happy amateur in the sled world, this my first project:) This is a picture from the test assembly, i think i´m gonna use big upper turning wheels instead of the small ones in the pic

My uni´s has finally arrived together with the throttle wire extension:) Tomorrow i will visit a friend who promised to fix that bent suspension part (didn´t know the english term for it)

Ahh thanx, that was the name i was looking for:) The swingarm is hopefully straightend by the time i get from work, so tonight i just might see if everything works as it supposed to:) I´m planning to testdrive it in the end of this weekend

Got a little more done tonight and now i´m close to test if it really works the way i hope it should. What do u think guys? A breathing bastard between a v-max and an exciter:) The front swingarm hopefully arriwes tomorrow, and then it´s assembly time!

Back