best belt for 97 700sx?

700 triple

Hi what is the best belt to run on a 97 700sx? I blew one early this winter and another one today. The belt that blew earlier was a dayco 5008 (300km on it), and the one from today was a dayco 5009 (700 km on it).

What belts are people running on the 700sx? I think I will go to yamaha and get a yamaha belt, but if people have had better luck with other belts I will look into them.

Thanks for any help
:2strokes:

I don't know about your sx but yamaha belts hold up the best on my srx. I tried an ultimax and I forget what the other one was but I never got more than 400 km from either. I don't buy anything but oem now.

When I had my Vmax that was the only machine that I have ever blown a belt on. I am not a hard rider, and I blew two dayco belts in less than 500KM. I had bought them because they were on sale. :o|

Went to a Yamaha Belt, and drove the same style, same conditions as before, and rode another 3000KM that season with no issues.

Last edited:
yamaha belts are the rule ...you can run 8ch, 89 L, or 8dn. The 8dn requires heavier rivets installed in the primary flyweights!

Ok thanks I will go to Yamaha tomorrow and pick up a 8ch. What would happen if I got a 8dn and didnt put heavier rivets in the primary?

Il check my spare yamaha one that I put on, im not sure if its 89l 8ch or 8dn. But it worked good after I blew the dayco, not a lot of spin, topped the speedo out on the lake, but it squeals when I first take off. I know with dayco belts the 5008 squeals when I take off but the 5009 doesn't.

I think what yammy is getting at is that the 8DN belt is of a harder rubber compound and to ensure the primary sheaves clamp the belt sufficiently, you can get more shift force by adding mass (heavier rivets) to the flyweights. If you do this, your shift RPM will drop so you'll have to make sure you stay at your operating RPM. Perhaps tightening your secondary spring a bit would offset this rpm drop. I think this becomes less of an issue after the break in. You could clean the belt and clutch sheave surfaces before installing the belt and break it in nice. Once it is broken in, you can test it out to see if you need more side force to create the clamping effect discussed above. You can tell if you are slipping by feeling the temp of the primary sheaves, and looking for those black marks as well.

The belt that I am running at the moment is a 8DN, but I am going to Yamaha tomorrow and getting a 8CH. Right now with the 8DN it shifts at about 7500rpm on hardpack.
thanks

I have some mods for hook up: bender transfer rods, 1" paddle track with 96 up the middle. Motor is 100% stock. Should I still go with 8CH?

700 triple said:
The belt that I am running at the moment is a 8DN, but I am going to Yamaha tomorrow and getting a 8CH. Right now with the 8DN it shifts at about 7500rpm on hardpack.
thanks
if you are shifting out at only 7500 rpm you are running on only two cylinders! or you have other issues with the motor and or clutches!

I have a Carlisle on mine. 3rd season now. If you're blowing belts, you have another problem.

700 triple said:
I have some mods for hook up: bender transfer rods, 1" paddle track with 96 up the middle. Motor is 100% stock. Should I still go with 8CH?

Definately. Better to be a little softer and keep the clutches cool. Won't slip like the DN would......w/o you having any clutch tweeking done.

yammy said:
if you are shifting out at only 7500 rpm you are running on only two cylinders! or you have other issues with the motor and or clutches!

I think it is the clutches. The motor is running mint, had 120psi in all 3 back in the summer. I just rolled 10 000km, so I think it should need a clutch rebuild or a clutch kit soon. With the 8DN I was doing 180 on speedo at around 8500 rpm.

Shifting around 7500rpm was on hardpack, in powder I let off because it was going over 8500rpm without shifting.

I ordered a 8CH belt today at Yamaha, it should be here wends/thurs.

I bought my 700sx 4 years ago. At the end of the first season I bought a new Yamaha belt, that belt is still being used, the belt I took off is my spare. That's probably about 1500 miles ago. The old one was a Yamaha also, the only reason I bought a new one was because the old spare looked pretty shot.

The spare on mine was a yamaha 8DN. the reason we took it off and put on the dayco's were because the yamaha belt squeaked, and the daycos were cheap. The yamaha belt is probably 5 years old and it is still solid, just worn down. There are still no cracks at all in it. That belt is on my vmax now and it still works great. I just want to keep a fresh belt on it, and I like to have a decent spare.

When I go out for a ride with the new 8CH I will let everyone know how it works.

Does anyone know when the clutches should be rebuilt, or even put a clutch kit in to tighten them up?

Back