'83 SS440 motor?

bleedin-blue

I have a '83 SS440 with a troubled motor. A few years ago my buddy got this sled from his dad and we started to run it. It developed blow by on the main seal and it burns holes in the clutch side piston(I always heard this to be the diagnosis, but never confirmed it). We started tearing it down at that time, but lost interest. I again have interest to make this sled run again for a couple reasons.

1. My son is 9 and will start riding soon. Currently, when I let him drive, I ride with him. Although, I just can't see turning him loose on a 97 700SX triple-triple.

2. I've seen recently that these sleds might be worth something. Since it's in really good condition with around 1K miles, I'd like to get it running

3. The old sentimental reason. I grew up riding these sleds and had A LOT of fun doing it. I had a 79 exciter for years and then switched over to phazers before the modern era of sleds came out.

So, what are some recommendations for repairing this motor? Do I find a local small engine repair guy? I would do it myself, but I worry because it has been apart for a couple years.

Thanks
Jeff

take your time and you can do it. my bro did a wildcat 700 for a guy that was literaly a basket case. the motor came in 3 milk crates. assembled it and it ran good after the cyls was renicacild. im shure some one here has a manual for that sled and would help you out by faxin some pictures and specs to geter going again.

ss440

Blue see my recent posts in the general forum. I also have an SS440 and have learned a fair bit but there always seems to be another lesson on these old ones. I am right down the road from you in Hartland. You are more than welcome to come over and compare notes. I am pretty sure mine will be running again tomorrow.

Doug

I am in the process of rebiulding one also. But my engine runs great(even though it sat for 5 years) but i am still going to change the crank seals to be safe. Other than that I am 136ing it to make it my trail breaking sled. Be sure to sheck your chain and bearings in the chaincase as mine blew way before i got it and the guy before me ran it with grease in the case because it would not hold oil.

Yes thoes SS are worth the efort, we have one mint the thing rocks 70mph+ and good on gas and oil we love it. ;)!

Thanks for the replies. I'm gonna give it a try myself. The only thing that stopped me before was we ran into needing a puller for the crank for the balancer or whatever on the starter side.

Archer, you are close. If I can't figure out how to put this motor back together, I'll give ya a shout. Maybe coming over and talking about those crank seals wouldn't be a bad thought.

Jeff

Back