02 vmax 700 vs 99 polaris xc600

v-max789

budy and i are goin to race who do u think is going to win?
Mine: 2002 yamaha v-max 700
Buddys: 1999 polaris xc 600 varieble exhaust

If it runs like my 2001 SXR 700 did you have a chance. I could beat my brother in laws 2001 Xc600 Edge when they were both bone stock and brand new. I think your 2002 has the 300W magneto/ignition which mine did. From what I saw they ran stronger than the first four years of that engine. I could beat any pre-version redhead 700 I ran against.

PS: if you want a little more out of it get the thinner head gasket, reed spacers and a 51/47 helix with the green spring at 60-70 deg. and shim your stock spring for a bit better engagement. That is close to what I did later and it helped wake it up some .

Last edited:
99 sc600 sp's did not have the VES setup and are the big block twins.

Is his seat red and black, or just all or black? Also, the 99 I don't think has yellow "600" letters on it, they will be white and or black. VES sleds in the Gen 2 chassis will have "Variable exhaust" on the hood up high on each side..

I own a 00 xcsp 600 VES that I snow checked at the end of the 99 season.

If he actually has a 2000 VES, and not the 99, he will win if his is anywhere near as quick/ fast as mine Otherwise, if it's the big block 99 it will be very close.

It's well documented that the 600 VES in a gen 2 chassis is a very fast and potent sled. Probably the fastest 600 twin from the factory of any brand and year really. Once put in the edge chassis, that great motor slowed down a bit. The combination of "lower" suspension compared to the new ones, with a chassis that was fast already was a great combo.

v-max789 said:

Now the wagers are bet.......post the results!

journeyman said:
Now the wagers are bet.......post the results!

well.............the results are in...........
we ran probably 1500 ft i had him by off the line then he got back up to me, we ran about dead even.... at the finish line we had a anothe person to judge, i won by less than a foot. it was a good race! :2strokes:

600 is written in yellow on his hood.
horkn said:
99 sc600 sp's did not have the VES setup and are the big block twins.

Is his seat red and black, or just all or black? Also, the 99 I don't think has yellow "600" letters on it, they will be white and or black. VES sleds in the Gen 2 chassis will have "Variable exhaust" on the hood up high on each side..

I own a 00 xcsp 600 VES that I snow checked at the end of the 99 season.

If he actually has a 2000 VES, and not the 99, he will win if his is anywhere near as quick/ fast as mine Otherwise, if it's the big block 99 it will be very close.

It's well documented that the 600 VES in a gen 2 chassis is a very fast and potent sled. Probably the fastest 600 twin from the factory of any brand and year really. Once put in the edge chassis, that great motor slowed down a bit. The combination of "lower" suspension compared to the new ones, with a chassis that was fast already was a great combo.

v-max789 said:
600 is written in yellow on his hood.

Looking at pics of 99's, yeah, the 600 was yellowish as well.

Since it's a 99, then that makes sense why a stock 700 red head would beat it, as that isn't a VES motor, but a big block 600.

If you want to run against a for certain 600 VES Gen 2 polaris, I have mine up in Tomahawk. I've yet to see any 700 non triple piped vmax that can run with mine.

Last edited:
i use to walk all over my buddys clutched 01 600 ves with my xtc 700 must of been a shit one but then i beat both my buddys rev 800s after 70

sx 700

my sx 700 set up and geared would hammer them plus i could give the 700 i waxing also let me know how it turns out if he bets you i will give you a clutch combo that you could drag him faster then he will ever go

bluebandit98 said:
i use to walk all over my buddys clutched 01 600 ves with my xtc 700 must of been a shit one but then i beat both my buddys rev 800s after 70

That was an 01, so an edge chassis which is definitely a slower chassis.

The fast ones were a 1 year only deal in 2000, and even then you can find 2000 edge 600 VES's, although those are very rare.

if the snow gets back in shape i might have to take you up on that offer! i'm 110 LBS with 96 picks so i can hook up alright with not alot a weight. :bump:
horkn said:
Looking at pics of 99's, yeah, the 600 was yellowish as well.

Since it's a 99, then that makes sense why a stock 700 red head would beat it, as that isn't a VES motor, but a big block 600.

If you want to run against a for certain 600 VES Gen 2 polaris, I have mine up in Tomahawk. I've yet to see any 700 non triple piped vmax that can run with mine.

v-max789 said:
if the snow gets back in shape i might have to take you up on that offer! i'm 110 LBS with 96 picks so i can hook up alright with not alot a weight. :bump:

Well, I'm 245 lbs, so you would have that to help you out... well, at least with the sled race. LOL

I do have 144 picks in my sled and it hooks up just fine.

v-max789 said:

You must have got more snow. Are you going to get this race on?

JOURNYMAN they ran the 700 beat him by a foot they should have went at it a few more times but by the sounds of it they didnt.

red devil said:
JOURNYMAN they ran the 700 beat him by a foot they should have went at it a few more times but by the sounds of it they didnt.

A foot? Need to make some more runs IMO at least 1000'.

So who beat who by a foot........the 700 or the Xc600?

The Yamaha's big problem is getting off the line. The no action skid and the stock track is not good for holeshots.

i beat the xc by a foot, yup he did beat me off the line.
journeyman said:
So who beat who by a foot........the 700 or the Xc600?

The Yamaha's big problem is getting off the line. The no action skid and the stock track is not good for holeshots.

Interesting. Where mine did it's damage with my bro-in-law's XC600 was in the midrange. We came out close out of the gate....his slightly better.....then mine would pull him good in midrange to about 2-3 lengths then we would both level off with mine holding that lead.

Back