Racerboy's phazer

racerboy

Well, it's not really a build. Really a rebuild. First things first:

It's a 1985 phazer 480 deluxe with a 1988 phazer motor. My dad bought two sleds in 1988. A 1985 phazer (my mom's) and a 1988 Phazer (his). He kept my mom's stock, but modified his. He added:

A DG exhaust. Boysen power reeds. Fox Shocks in the rear. He repainted his and added pin stripes.

They both rode together until around 2001. My mom stopped riding, but he kept both sleds. My uncle started driving my mom's and my dad kept driving his. That is, until my uncle decided he wanted to try out my dads for a day, and pushed a little to hard. He jumped the sled and landed to hard, and bent up the chassis. It got towed home, and was never driven on the trails again. But it's the first full size sled I ever drove, in our back yard. When I got my snowmobile license, my dad bought an Arctic Cat pantera 580, and gave me my mom's sled. I drove it for a few years, until the magnetos went bad, and I swapped the motor from my dad's, as well as his other high performance stuff. Then his magnetos went out, and I have had no lights for the past two years.

Last year, my primary started acting up, and I just ignored it, and decided the sled wasn't worth fixing, as it has over 15,000 miles. But it was still running this year, so I kept driving it. Now it's chewing up belts like crazy, and the last magneto went out, leaving it dead. I was looking on craigslist two nights ago, and found a 1988 phazer motor and clutch with 4500 miles for $150. I thought it over, and decided to buy it and swap the motor in. I picked it up today, and started the swap. Right now, the old motor is out, and I'm in the process of cleaning the engine compartment, as the motor had a bad oil leak. Plans for tommorow are to sand the DG pipes down and repaint them. Also will be swapping the boysen reeds onto the new motor, and will be installing my new RydeFX shock in the rear, and rebuilding my fox shock. Then I will be putting it all back together and hopefully ride it one last time this year before putting it away for the summer.

picture will be up tommorow hopefully.

Back