Tree riding sled?

SXlover

What do you guys recommend for a tree riding sled? And I'm talking like Chris Burandt style stuff.

Rode a modded M7 out in Island Park and that was a blast riding trees.

The Apex 174" (eventually will be turbo) is my climbing sled and I'm thinking of building another sled I can throw around in tight tight trees.

Throw out your ideas, from any of the big 4, and any year, it doesn't matter. List mods you'd do as well, because no way will you ride trees that easy with a stock sled.

I want to be able to sidehill through them, turn it uphill and go, be going down hill and throw it into a sidehill and go back up again. I want to do it all...in the trees.

Thanks guys.

EDIT: I'd like this to be a budget sled so probably like an 08 or older sled. I don't mind doing wrenching on a sled at all. I'm thinking maybe an M chassis or IQ chassis. Must be EFI!!

Last edited:

I have been thinking about a m8 myself, 2010-11 is up almost 15 hp on the 08-09 but they require premium. 08-09 need reg octane. get a 153 unless your really big, im 6-6 and the 153 got around pretty good with me on it.

I wouldn't go any less than 162 on the 2010-2011 M8's, I've rode and ridden with them. In fact depending on the sled I dont know if I'd go any less than a 162 period. Those M8's are dang good sleds and do go through quite a bit of stuff. But those are a little newer than I was thinking of. The power claw track sure does work nice though.

bolin22 said:
There Isnt A Better Sled On The Snow Than The Pro For Doing What You Want To Do.

Those are a great sled too, had the chance to ride one of those as well about a week or so ago. Very smooth on the throttle. But again more than I'd like to spend.

I take them all into the trees. The challenge is what you are looking for after all, right? Some of the most fun I've had is working a 121 through the trees in the deep snow. Getting stuck is just part of the fun. It can scratch up the body panels a lot though. I am sure you are aware of all of this, as you appear to be a seasoned mountain rider probably way beyond my level. I would go for lightest weight, and you don't need the longest track in my opinion. You need something that you can flop around, and up over small trees.

Ding said:
I take them all into the trees. The challenge is what you are looking for after all, right? Some of the most fun I've had is working a 121 through the trees in the deep snow. Getting stuck is just part of the fun. It can scratch up the body panels a lot though. I am sure you are aware of all of this, as you appear to be a seasoned mountain rider probably way beyond my level. I would go for lightest weight, and you don't need the longest track in my opinion. You need something that you can flop around, and up over small trees.

Well said there Ding. The Apex is not much of a tree rider, especially if you are going slow, the front end likes to dive and once that happens it always seems like thats just the way you are going. Don't get me wrong I love my Apex, and after 2 days of riding an M7 and 1 day on a 700 Dragon, I sure missed that thing. I could ride that M7 though like I'd been on it for years, dipping and diving through trees, sidehilling like it was nobody's business. Only thing I didn't really like on that sled was that it was a dog on the bottom end, no snap to it. I'm thinking of maybe that 153 or 156-162" track range.

I'm in the same boat.I have a nytro mtn and a apex mtn.My cat 1000 was way easier to ride in the trees in wyoming.I want to build a lightweight 2 stroke also on a budget.
I do have a 780 srx engine yet!

YooperMike said:
From your sig it appears you already have 2 great tree sleds...Mtn Vipers. :)

Yes that is true, but my dad owns both of them, I just ride the one. I guess I have never really tried the Mtn Vipers in the trees. I'd like something EFI though, since I ride a wide selection of temps and elevations.

pro116 said:
I'm in the same boat.I have a nytro mtn and a apex mtn.My cat 1000 was way easier to ride in the trees in wyoming.I want to build a lightweight 2 stroke also on a budget.
I do have a 780 srx engine yet!

Maybe we need to put our heads together and build the ultimate tree riding sled. That 780 I bet would work nice for you if you stay in one place mostly. I want EFI since I ride many different places.

I would go with a 151 ~ 156 for back country riding. We do a fair amount of that out west! A 162 is great for REALLY deep powder days and shooting straight up the bowl! JMHO

YooperMike said:
From your sig it appears you already have 2 great tree sleds...Mtn Vipers. :)

That was my thoughts exactly. Mountain Viper are highly maneuverable and work great in trees. The 4 stroke mountain sleds do want to dive at low speeds, I've noticed that when riding them myself. Tree riding can be low speeds a lot, even if the track is spinning fast.

Otherwise M8 from years 2008 - 2010. Great sleds and high maneuverable. That Suzuki motor is pretty relaible too. My neighbor has an 800 Crossfire that work fantastic in the trees. But I'd go longer than his 141".

;)!

Last edited:
ford428cj said:
I would go with a 151 ~ 156 for back country riding. We do a fair amount of that out west! A 162 is great for REALLY deep powder days and shooting straight up the bowl! JMHO

I agree with this post, I love my 174" going up in the deep stuff. Works great!!

if you want cheap and efi it looks like an older mountain cat would fit the bill. (can't believe i'm recomending a cat) being from michigan i don't really have much experience with tree riding but my brother in law has a 600 efi mountain cat that he has had no problems with.

what about the new ones with the new chassis? looked at the new sleds last night and they are LEAPS ahead of the old ones. really look like they would work great in the steep and deep. I have never really liked cats build quality, but the new ones look like they are right up there near yamaha

Back