Supercharge vs Turbocharge

SrXxTrEeM

Website
www.totallyamaha.com
Supercharge vs Turbocharge

I am interested in hearing pros & cons on whether to Supercharge or Turbocharge my RX-1.
Gas mileage, durability,ease of installation, noise-sound,extras which are needed to run either, etc. etc.
Do you have one, please give me some friendly chatter concerning or voice your concerns, it will help me make up my mind.

Where did my old post come from ?

I am not sure how my old post made this forum under another person's username BUT, we've learned that as of right now the only choice is to turbo charge. :?: :?

i copy and past from rx1 we needed ? here for the new forums to get them going we copy and past lots on friday
so you guys had some stuff to read ;)
the more the better
so if there is good ? out there you see
post them you never know

there is no dumb ? only dumb answers

I say go with a turbo. They are more efficient. This is because with a blower you use some of the engine's power to drive a belt that drives the blower.
Also, with a turbo you can cool the air coming in the engine which will help you make more power.
Ive heard that turbo lag is all but non-existent on turbocharged RX-1s, so that really does away with the only downside to a turbo.
Hebi

I'm not sure if this applies but I think it does. On cars with low torque engines the turbo works better than the supercharger. Too much of the engines torque is used to drive the supercharger vs. the turbo.

Look at the FAQs on Mountain Performance, interesting points about Supercharging (SC) versus Turbocharging (TC). If I was inclined to spend over $4500 for boosted HP, I'd do the Supercharger, should be better for the type of riding I like. Plus I like the idea of 4-6 hour install time and use of stock exhaust. If I wanted all out top speed then I might go the turbo, but I think SC will be more "trail-able" power. Having driven cars with both, I prefer the surge of power from SC over the burst of power from TC, easier to control and use. Plus from the pictures on MPIs site, the install is a lot cleaner and the stealth factor is greater ;)

Last edited:

Back