rode a new Rmotion ski doo today..

03viperguy

WOW, they are onto something there! was hard to get a feel for the motor (800R E-tec) since it was very much so spring conditions, but when it did find traction it pulls very hard. throttle response was good once underway, but off idle was a bit soft compared to the old yamaha tripple motors I am used to. the rear was able to soak up the smaller stuff about like my mono, but when I hit a 2-3' hole it never felt harsh, didn't bottom out, and the sled stayed flat and level. was quite impressive, even with the spring set to 3 out of 5 it felt real smooth. didnt feel as light as I expected, but that just proves that you dont ride a spec sheet. light on paper, doesnt feel as light as the spec sheet would lead you to believe. didnt feel heavy, just not SUPER light. overall, seemed like a nice sled. if I happened to have a spare $13k sitting around I might grab one. thought I would share :)!

I was looking at those etecs pretty hard for a while. But I just got a new pair of Yamaha pants so I decided not to buy one. :)

Really though they look pretty tempting, nice modern two stroke with a nice riding skid. Think I will wait till the 800 etec has a few more years of history behind it before I decide between it and a new apex. It's going to take me that long to save up enough money anyway.

I rode an 800 etec XRS last winter,a nd it was amazing. pulled VERY hard.

The new rear suspension sounds very well sorted, and I'll have to try that out this next winter. I could have tested the new rmotion at cruiserfest in february, but I had to ry out the new apexes.

I got to try out the new apex ltx, the regular 128" apex, a slightly tricked out nytro xtx, and the venture Gt all in one ride.

If Polaris does not bring the 136" rushes next cruiserfest, iIll try the doos out again.

03viperguy said:
didnt feel as light as I expected, but that just proves that you dont ride a spec sheet. light on paper, doesnt feel as light as the spec sheet would lead you to believe. didnt feel heavy, just not SUPER light.

If you every get off trail, there is where you will feel the light weight. Especially when it comes to maneuvering or getting un-stuck. I agree though, On the trail, I could maneuver my SRX with the same ease. Actually prefer the SRX on trail situations.

Ill say one thing about The E tec, they just dont last very long< not in a snowmobile application anyway, Ive got a buddy that had a 600 etec and now an 800 etec, Seems to be that they barely make it past breakin, His 600 etec was very quick the first year he had it, and the second year it was really alot slower, Now he has the 800 etec and i have to say i am not very impressed, its pretty slow for 160 some HP. I just dont think the rings last very long in them, oil is the lifeblood of a motor, cutt it down too much and somethings gotta give. Just my opinion, hope i dont offend anyone.

Zachalyse said:
If you every get off trail, there is where you will feel the light weight. Especially when it comes to maneuvering or getting un-stuck. I agree though, On the trail, I could maneuver my SRX with the same ease. Actually prefer the SRX on trail situations.
yeah, agreed. just for me, I never really get off trail much. not often enough to really care at least. how has yours been since you repaired the crank? yours an etec or ptek?

ptek. And it has been perfect. Only problem I've been trying to work through is the cornering. Plows like crazy.

really? I thought they were supposed to corner really well? is there any front end difference between the one I tried and yours? I was on a 2012. seemed pretty decent, but hard to tell in the conditions I was running

try the new cat pro crosses doo is jus as it sounds cats are pullin theyre act together this year may look like an insect but lookin like theyre gunna put the hammer down

I really like the new cats if they hold together as well as they look like they will. just didnt get a chance to try any of them out

bluebandit98 said:
try the new cat pro crosses doo is jus as it sounds cats are pullin theyre act together this year may look like an insect but lookin like theyre gunna put the hammer down

I hear ya. It's just that Cat and Dependable has never sounded right. If I ever bought a cat, it would have to be as a second sled and may take many miles before I could trust it. Similar to what I'm going through with my XP right now. Just don't trust that damn motor at all!!

Yamaha has to get high performance sled under 500 lbs to make me happy again. I so wanna be back on a Yamaha but just can't do it. I still got my 97 Vmax 4 if I need a good ol Yami rush.

Zach, you do a decent amount of off trail riding? I understand completely your thoughts on the cats. I want them to succeed though, ups the ante for everyone that way :)

Maybe Yamaha should just start building engines for the other companies? I like the looks of the Polaris stuff the last 6 years or so, just heard allot of bad press on the engines. The apex doesnt look ALL THAT differant from the RX1's from 8 years ago. Or the ATTACK, or WARRIOR, etc....
Maybe next year they will get creative???
I hope so, I should be able to afford a 2012 model some time around the year 2020!!!

03viperguy said:
Zach, you do a decent amount of off trail riding? I understand completely your thoughts on the cats. I want them to succeed though, ups the ante for everyone that way :)

Not a lot but I was just tired of not being able to when I wanted to. I've spent many years riding with friends and parking the Yami trail side while I watched them shoot up through the trees playing. Sure, I on occasion would run the SRX or Viper off trail, but it would never go where the others went. And nobody wanted to help when I got stuck because of the weight.

This year, I've already gone places I never would have dreamed of taking my Yami's. I even rode with a friend on a Nytro.....He's jumping ship next year if that tells you anything.

I too hope the cat succeeds. A nice touch would be if they would just change their name. Then I wouldn't feel so bad if I bought one. It's kind of like buying your clothes at Wal-Mart. :-|

Most of the bad press on polaris motors has been unfounded. Rumors spread quickly, true or false. Outside of a couple of stumbles once ina while on some of the 4 injector CFI motors, they have been very good running motors. Even those stumbles only manifest themselves sometimes, and usually right after a lot of goosing the throttle quickly off and on. Those minor quibbles can be worked around with aftermarket pieces pretty easily.

Motor for motor for durability I'd take a fusion 900 over a powertek doo any day fwiw. It may vibrate a bit, but it will get you home.

I sort of want cat to do well, but only to make everyone else step up even more. I'd never buy another cat, and their shoddy reliability and quality won't ever be forgotten by me.

This 2010-2011 season had no breakdowns by my cat "riding" friends, then again, they put a collective zero miles on their garage queens. LOL

the fusion 900s around here dont seem to hold up but the 800s are more dependable then any etec thats for sure i straight hate olaris due to rivalrys for years but push come to shove itd be cat an polaris over doo anyday

Last edited:
buy or rent an e-tec and run it for a week before you guys decide, i still have my yammi's but honestly the 2011 600 e-tec I bought is way better in every way. faster, lighter, lower cost to run and way more comfortable.
i am not a die hard doo fan and never was. Yammi, Cat and Polaris have some catching up to do. i ran the sno pro and the rush before i decided, super glad I spent the dollars renting the sleds first. now if i can only get snow 12 months of the year i would be in heaven

Snowbear said:
buy or rent an e-tec and run it for a week before you guys decide, i still have my yammi's but honestly the 2011 600 e-tec I bought is way better in every way. faster, lighter, lower cost to run and way more comfortable.
i am not a die hard doo fan and never was. Yammi, Cat and Polaris have some catching up to do. i ran the sno pro and the rush before i decided, super glad I spent the dollars renting the sleds first. now if i can only get snow 12 months of the year i would be in heaven

I wouldn't give up a wooden nickel for a doo e-tec. i have heard and seen nothing but problems with the ski-doos. cant seem to get it through the doo dudes heads though. they still think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread...

Back