Yamaha Resurrection!

BigTimeFarmer

1980 yz250g.

bought it when i was 14, in the summer of 96. promptly blew it up, wasn't much of a mechanic at the time so it sat in the barn accumulating dust and bird crap. fast forward to 2011. me and dad drug it out and i'm gonna give it a go at fixing it. shouldn't be too bad. it's in pretty good shape, just needs a fresh cylinder. it's only bored over 1mm so i've still got two more oversizes. gonna split the cases as soon as my flywheel puller gets here. if any of you ,cough, "older" guys have any experience with the old yz's any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20110413_085400 [800x600].jpg
    IMG_20110413_085400 [800x600].jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 10

wow glad to see the old iron still around thats in good shape i have a 82 490 what abeast but still fun to beat up on all these new 4 strokes just make sure u check big end bearing in the crank notorious for blowing rod out the case have fun

Man you'll have a few fun summer projects. I had a kx 250 back in the day. That thing was big. I had to lean it against a tree just to start it cause i couldnt hardly touch the ground. Hows that quad project going? Chris

the quadzilla runs great now. all i did was drain the gas, clean the carb and readjust the power valve. gave it a good cleaning and she's a pretty good looking bike for being 23 years old. only thing else i'm doing to it is going through bearings and whatnot replaceing old grease. that was too easy to be called a project. the bike is definately more of a job. but the parts seem to be pretty easy to come by. it'll be fun. i want to have it done by the fourth to take up to my grandpa's place in vanderbilt. when i get it done you'll have to come over and we'll go on a retro ride around the prairie.

Attachments

• IMG_20110409_134310 [800x600].jpg
    IMG_20110409_134310 [800x600].jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 5
BigTimeFarmer said:
the quadzilla runs great now. all i did was drain the gas, clean the carb and readjust the power valve. gave it a good cleaning and she's a pretty good looking bike for being 23 years old. only thing else i'm doing to it is going through bearings and whatnot replaceing old grease. that was too easy to be called a project. the bike is definately more of a job. but the parts seem to be pretty easy to come by. it'll be fun. i want to have it done by the fourth to take up to my grandpa's place in vanderbilt. when i get it done you'll have to come over and we'll go on a retro ride around the prairie.

Im in for sure. Get a hold of me if you need some help or someone to hand ya a beer! LOL chris

Got her split apart the other day. everything on the inside is spotless. no rust on the crank bearings and the seals look good too. the tranny gears are all clean and the clutch looks like it has a lot of wear left in it. i might have a buddy of mine true the crank up but otherwise im just gonna stick her back together. it's amazing how clean everything is considering it sat in a dirt floored barn with a rag stuffed into the cases(clylinder off) for 15 years. looks like a gasket set, piston kit, and a bore job on the cylinder and she should run.

Attachments

• IMG_20110425_192429 [800x600].jpg
    IMG_20110425_192429 [800x600].jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 3
spent some time inspecting the rod bearing as yamadogg suggested. seems to be good and tight. thanks for the tip. checked it out and i can still get a rod kit from yamaha (rod, bearings, thrust washers, and crank pin) for $200. still can't believe the amount of oem parts that are available for a 30 year old machine.

i had the 82 490 an it was a torquey beast just the vibrations an suspension was like riding a lumber wagon but tons of fun in the pits

Looking nice. Gotta love them yamaha's. Iv'e been hoping for nice weather for ya but with all this rain looks like youll have lots of time to work on it. Chris

Back