Nivala Grass drag "test day race", Finland

Ike

My brother SamueLJackson took the old vmax-4 for the first time on grass. After some test and tune at our grandparents fields 2 weeks ago, he was ready to make the 4 hour car ride to Nivala last saturday (after a hard night at work).

He placed 4th in the stock 800 and 3rd in the open fuel after turbo cat and yammie. Best time what he ran was 6.29 / 134kmh (83mph) 500tf. No traction products were allowed. Not bad for the old dinosaur. Special thank´s for Yammiegod Tony for his tips and help. :clap: With his help a stock Apex´s are appetizer, XP Lynx and Doo´s with Cat Crossfire 8`s are the main course. It is mind blowing that all of those 2-strokes are really so much lighter than the old Vmax, but can not beat it. They trade wins on the 500 ft race evenly.

Racers were amazed how good the old V4 can hang with the new iron. Some even thought that motor had to be "on juice" to ran that good. Sled has just over 10000 km´s on it and has never been opened so stock as stock can be. Even the special made Wiseco pistons what I have are still on the package.

some youtube links of races:

http://youtu.be/nbb7W2A-ZVA

http://youtu.be/1Qo3SPKDe2I

Ike

It was really fun to ride at grass, never done it before. I was amazed how fast big max is when grip is better. At 800 class only sleds to worry about is cat 800 crf`s, it is really fast. Those beat me at 800 class but I was little bit faster at open class and went to A-finals. I have helmet cam video from race, try to put it here next week.

Here´s team yammigod (ike&me) set up:

stock weights
orange hauck spring with 2 shims
warrior 51/43 helix silver spring 70 degree preload

Its easy to race when tony has tested and made fast set ups....thanks again

2v283sh.jpg

31447y9.jpg

9vedyx.jpg

rc7fas.jpg

Ike

Last edited:
ARE YOU KIDDING IKE AND SAMI. I FORGET THIS VMAX 4 WAS A '' MOUNTAIN MAX. OH MY GOD. YOU WOULD OF GASSED EVERYBODY THERE IF THIS WAS A 121. lol. 3:16 (YAMMIE TONY)

Yep, that what we thought also Tony. It is a one hard charging 136 Max for sure. It has the 32mm RipSaw track under it. The old Yokohama was too slippery for the power it has.

Ike

LOL! For a heavy pig it is, it still packs a hell of a puch in the short run. If I´d had lower gearing on it... It runs over 100 mph with this gearing. Setup was spot on, rpm´s were 8300 all the way from start to finish. Sami said that after first 2 seconds it pulls like a freight train on steroids, like it had never ending power.

Those CRF´s have about 60 kg (130 lbs) weight advantage on that 136 Max. Yep, unreal how fast theese 4´s are!

Ike

Last edited:
STAGGS, I ASSUME YOUR REFERRING TOO MORE TRACK ON THE GROUND MEANS BETTER HOOK UP ? PROBLEM IS THIS SNOWMOBILE IS SO HEAVY AT 121, NOW ADD LONGER TRACK, LONGER SKID, LONGER TUNNEL. 3:16 (yammie tony)

averagesleder said:
Nice job! Why were no traction products allowed?

Here literally no-one uses them in trail riding. And if you stud your track our dragracing rules state that you must add protectiveplates to your sled for the case if studs come loose = lots of extra work.

Ike

Last edited:
Ike said:
Here literally no-one uses them in trail riding. And if you stud your track our dragracing rules state that you must add protectiveplates to your sled for the case if studs come loose = lots of extra work.

Ike

Yeah that would be a lot of extra work. Studs are very popular here in Ontario. I actually just bought more for my viper.
Here is a video I made of the local grass drags. There is a nice vmax-4 and a really quick SRX from a fellow board member among other sleds.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecuzXRCka0A ;)!

Back