vmax-4 restoration

Rustman

Making some progress on my vmax-4 project. Got the engine in place, not bolted in though. Engine got new seals, welded crank, and new pistons and rings. Most of the other work has just been cleaning the thing.

DSC03170.jpg

Skiis are all polished up, to best of my abilities. These skiis were rough to start with, still are really but I'm gonna run them anyways. I did install grease zerks in the scissor arms to make maintenance on the needle bearings much easier.

DSC03172.jpg

And the chaincase side, nearly all polished, didnt bother with what would be hidden by the chaincase. This most likely isnt the nicest vmax-4 around but it will be real nice and it's gonna be ridden as much as possible so perfect isnt my goal.

DSC03175.jpg

-Rustman

Lookin really good! How do you get that shine?

Im sure there are many ways but I use 800 grit sandpaper and then 2000 grit. Finally I use a chrome and aluminum polish, it works pretty good for me.

pipes are now in and motor bolted down. Radiator and shroud have also found their home.

DSC03227.jpg

You must be done work for the season, come do mine next ok, finally got ours in the garage to give her a going over. She needs a pile of suspension work, swapping out the 1 1/4 for a 1" studded.

if you plan to keep it for long I strongly suggest doing the maintenance on the scissor arms in the front struts. There are needle bearings in there that are guaranteed to be done in, and the slop in the steering can be fixed at the same time. Adding the grease zerks will ensure that when you do replace the needle bearings they can be maintained regularly.

And no, one restore is enough for me for now. I will gladly supervise though..lol.

I want to do an order of bearings so maybe we can crunch some numbers and make one order, it might even save us some money(for gas later). I have been using always sales in gornish, they give me decent prices. Later man!

Rustman said:
if you plan to keep it for long I strongly suggest doing the maintenance on the scissor arms in the front struts. There are needle bearings in there that are guaranteed to be done in, and the slop in the steering can be fixed at the same time. Adding the grease zerks will ensure that when you do replace the needle bearings they can be maintained regularly.

#1 issue with the TSS sleds ! How can a suspension work when frozen from lack of Maintenance ?

I got the rear skid in now. Sitll needs a few finishing touches but i think it sits pretty decent, maybe a tad high for my taste but I can fix that I'm certain. Should be ready to handle some off trail excitement now I would think. Eventually all the wheels will match up, hopefully they'll just grow into the skid, but if the organic approach doesnt work I'll swap them out for matching ones.

DSC03249.jpg

Looking bad a** ken. alot of polishing dude..wow.. I think we should pospone our trip to maine this friday is black friday. Dont want to sit at the border for 3 hours for a 45 min visit.

fourbarrel said:
I remember the first time I ever heard a V Max 4 start up I got chills and half a chubby LOL.

I've heard it a thousand times and it still gives me "half a chubby"..lol

thanks for the compliments.

just about ready for snow, I just need to put clutches on and fill with fluids. I wish I had a hood that would match the side panels but it wasnt in the cards right now. I plan to get a decal made that matches the side panels but goes on the windshield cowling, would also like to get a different vmax-4 decal for the hood. a red windshield is also on my to get list.

DSC03281.jpg

Back