02MM screen kit??

TJ500

I have two issues in very deep powder snow with this 02MM.... First, this thing goes through anything but seems to do it the hard way, it pushes/ ploughs snow rather than floating on top....

Second, I find snow getting under the cowl everywhere filling the engine compartment... It gets past the screened and unscreened vents...

I understand better skis might help with floatation, but what else is there and what's used to keep the vents from allowing snow under the cowl...

thanks..

Keep er pinned & keep the front of the sled out of the powder. Get a set of simmons skiis & loosen the limiters to get the front end up. A lot of deep snow riding & keeping the front end up is rider technique & skid set up.

Thats the ticket. Keep her pinned and weight to the rear. TURKS right Simmons really help and loosen up them straps when your in the deep and not planning to spend alot of time on the trails.Tape off the lower screens helps also. Soc

tj, i cut a piece of black plastic, thin plastic like from an oil jug and use it to cover the two holes in the bellypan, i just wedge it between the belly pan and the existing sreen. mine stays there all year. if i know i am going to be pushing snow i will tape off the bottom holes in the hood and the sreen behind the bumper.. what ever you do don't tape all the others off as well, you will be asking for trouble. i think the screens are mostly for keeping trees out before i had heated carbs on my 97sx i would have to break trail, pulling a sleigh and wearing a rifle on my back, at about 100km/hr just to keep snow out of my sled if all else fails just give'er

probably should clarify that I was breaking a narrow bush/ logging trail to our cabin when this was happening.... wasn't any room for decent speed and was pulling a boggan with gear too...

It sounds like it is the nature of the beast... at slow speeds it does however tend to scoop snow and throw it over the hood/ windshield..

other than the trail breaking, I'm quickly learning to love this sled, this past week with two feet of powder in the ditches was awsome...

thanks..

Hands down I think my 00 Mountain Max went through the snow better than any I have had. That thing would go places this 03 Viper Mountain wont even think about. Viper has more power though.

If you are running the stock skis, try remounting the front grab bar, split the difference on the holes the object was to flatten the skis out a bit. It seemed to help some.

To keep snow out of your engine compartment and still allow some cold air to flow I have found a cheap fix that seems to work good for me. Pull off your screens in the hood, go to your local hardware store and buy a roll of window screen material (approx $10-$13), cut and hot glue screen material over your existing screens, re-install screens. What I have found is the small holes of the window screen drastically reduces the amount of snow that gets into the engine compartment while still maintaining decent air flow. Cut the material to fit the dimensions of the screens and the black screen material looks great, since it is mounted on the outside of your screens it wont melt against pipes. It is also alot cheaper than purchasing flowrite material. BTW I totally close off the two small vents in the belly pan. Maybe you could give this a try and see if it works for you.

Back