03' F7 vs. 97 sx 700

97srxXT

The 97sx has CPR triples, Thin head gasket, V force reeds, clutch work and secondary has a 51/43 helix. 1" track with 144 studs and transfer rods.

The F7 has an aftermarket y pipe, clutch work, Geared down and has 96 studs.

I don't know anything about arctic cats so I'm not sure on the outcome. I watched some videos of F7's vs. Srx's. Seems stock for stock the Srx will win. I know the sx700 would be a close race with a stock srx. So I imagine the race should be close between the F7 and this sx700??

It's so funny when debates like this come up. One brand vs. another. You get guys blinded by their opinion vs. facts and rational thinking. I don't consider myself brand loyal. Though I love yamaha, I love speed and riding more then anything. My "opinion" though on Arctic cat lovers is not flattering. A lot of these guys are just plain obnoxious. I feel the type of person who buys an Arctic cat is someone who usually doesn't work on there sled rather pays to have work done, Or they are the guys upgrading every other season. Having said all that I do really like some of the new arctic cats. Back on point though, If you type in srx vs. F7 (cant find sxr or sx700 vs. F7) you find some of the funniest debates I have ever heard. Even the videos on youtube mostly srx's winning have some really funny comments. Arctic cat guys saying "yamaha sucks" even though the cat just got spanked. All talk but no facts to back up the "The F7 will win" statement. On paper the F7 does look like the better pic I will say that. It weighs about 40lbs less and makes the same or more hp then the modded sx700. The F7 seems to do really well in 660ft. We will see though. I think his lack of studs will hurt him off the line and he will be playing catch up. We will see, Might have to take a video of this one.

I Beg To Differ Man, You Buy A Cat You Better Know How To Fix It. There Is No Doubt They Are Fast Sleds, Always Were, But Their Made Like Crap. Now For Me, I Find Polaris Guys The Worst. Now Getting Back To Your Drag Race, I Had A 97 Sx 700 That Flew. I Kept It Even When I Bought A Brand New 99 Srx. That Sx Walked That Srx Every Way Possible. In 2000 I Bought A Brand New 2000 Srx That Walked That Sx, Still Have It Today. 3:16 (yammie Tony)

I think we actually agree, I think the same thing, If you buy a cat you better know how to fix the green machine. Though I think most cat guys seem to upgrade before the sled breaks down or they are the guys who pay someone to work on the sled. I think that anyone with half a brain and some mechanical knowledge can see the flaws and lack of quality on those sleds. I do think they got their crap together on the newer sleds, At least as far as doing what the customer wants. Vs yamaha focusing on these boats with power steering.

97srxXT said:
I think we actually agree, I think the same thing, If you buy a cat you better know how to fix the green machine. Though I think most cat guys seem to upgrade before the sled breaks down or they are the guys who pay someone to work on the sled. I think that anyone with half a brain and some mechanical knowledge can see the flaws and lack of quality on those sleds. I do think they got their crap together on the newer sleds, At least as far as doing what the customer wants. Vs yamaha focusing on these boats with power steering.
;)! 3:16 (yammie tony)

I'll toss in my $.02 as I've owned an F7 and an SRX700 ( and yes I'm aware the race is against a modded SX ). F7's, like'em or hate'em are fast sleds with an excellent reputation for being a giant killer for a reason. They have a very efficient chassis for top speed and drag racing. They hook up very well and don't require a tone of studs to do so..102-136 works very well. I sold my Yammi and tried an 06 F7 for 3 seasons....I only lost one race to a Yammi..an 07 Apex RTX and it was in powder..only lost by a length or so. But on hard pack or ice....never ever had a Yammi get close. I am a Yamaha guy at heart, but the F7 was a fun, fast sled and earned my respect. If you maintain an F7 and know how to set one up ( clutching/gearing ) it will walk all over that SX in any race..660, 1000, 2000. I'm not say the cat is the fastest thing out there or that it can't be beat, but if you think it will be an easy race..think again. 03' are a weapon in the hands of a good tuner. As far as them having major issues...the 03 had them, and while I admit they are a cheaply built sled....my 06 took a beating and never cause me any issues at. If the guy with the F7 knows how to tune...I'd put my money on him, sorry....just speaking from experience.

i got a 98 srx raced a lot of f7s and killed them everytime. the only 1 i had trouble with was a hooper built f7. they do hook up very good so thats the thing you have to watch. the drags i did where anywhere from 500ft to 1000ft. im gunna have to go with the sx if its a long run but it will be close. make sure you video it.

When racing an well setup F7 with the SRX I don't have a chance but the everyday F7 driver (who thinks he's fast) I can beat LOL! and you do beat him make sure you get it on video

shadow44 said:
I'll toss in my $.02 as I've owned an F7 and an SRX700 ( and yes I'm aware the race is against a modded SX ). F7's, like'em or hate'em are fast sleds with an excellent reputation for being a giant killer for a reason. They have a very efficient chassis for top speed and drag racing. They hook up very well and don't require a tone of studs to do so..102-136 works very well. I sold my Yammi and tried an 06 F7 for 3 seasons....I only lost one race to a Yammi..an 07 Apex RTX and it was in powder..only lost by a length or so. But on hard pack or ice....never ever had a Yammi get close. I am a Yamaha guy at heart, but the F7 was a fun, fast sled and earned my respect. If you maintain an F7 and know how to set one up ( clutching/gearing ) it will walk all over that SX in any race..660, 1000, 2000. I'm not say the cat is the fastest thing out there or that it can't be beat, but if you think it will be an easy race..think again. 03' are a weapon in the hands of a good tuner. As far as them having major issues...the 03 had them, and while I admit they are a cheaply built sled....my 06 took a beating and never cause me any issues at. If the guy with the F7 knows how to tune...I'd put my money on him, sorry....just speaking from experience.

;)! GOOD POST AND VERY TRUE, THEY ARE VERY FAST, BUT NOT UNBEATABLE, I WILL LEAVE IT AT THAT. 3:16 (yammie tony)

what primary set up is in the sx? just a 51/43 helix doesnt tell me much. You need to have that engine running 8900-9000 rpm, those are good pipes and make good power. The jetting needs to be spot on along with a set of reed spacers.

I used to run our 99 700SX in improved stock 660' "snow" drags[no studs] and had little trouble with F7s or SRXs for that matter. Our SX was pretty heavily modded using Bender pipes, porting, ect. I have this SX still, detuned and stretched to 144" and it still makes quick work of my 144" 2002 SRX...LOL...I'm still working on that!

THAT 700 SX (red head ) IS THE BEST MOTOR YAMAHA EVER BUILT. AND I HAVE SEEN THEM ALL IN ALMOST 40 YEARS. MY NEIGHBORS RUN TWO, BOTH ON GRASS AND TAR. VERY VERY FAST , THE ONE HAS RUN IN THE NINES. VERY IMPRESSIVE. 3:16 (yammie tony)

Back