03 viper vs 02 zr900

rodny51082

03 viper vs 02 zr800fi

i kinda challanged my buddy the other day and want to know what you guys think. i have a 03 viper 700 piped,clutched,v force reeds 200 picks in good stock track. he has a stock everything arctic cat zr800 fi. who is going to take it on the lake.

Last edited:

the sled is new to me so havent even been able to try it out, no snow or ice yet. i did see a dyno chart with the pipes i have and it was putting out something like 147 hp. im not sure what it has for weights in the clutch but i think the spring is solid red.

you should kill a stock zr800 if yours is dialed in. but since you just got it, I'd ride it and make sure everyhtings right before you run him. keep us posted. been reading all these keyboard races lately and want some results. everyone run these races already!!!!!

I have a viper mountain and it was all stock last year. I raced a buddy of min with a mountain cat 800 that was stock and just barley beat him. Almost to close to call the only reason I say I won is because he admited to me winning thats how close the race was. We raced 3 or 4 times and had the same outcome. So I think that seeing your piped and clutched you should not have any problem at all.

all boils down to how good of a clutch set up is in your sled. The addition of pipes on your viper should make it easy to beat a zr800, but if its not clutched good you dont transfer the power to the track!

I think a well clutched stock viper would beat a ZR800...with the mods your Viper has ( provided they are all dialed in ) it won't even be a good race...you should smoke him. ZR800s in my experience were nothing special in stock form....900s worked well, but 800s were kinda doggish.

well i thought i might be eating my words on this one because my other friend has an arctic cat t-cat 1000 and he said the 800 would get him off the line everytime. i dont know about top speed runs but at the 1/4 mile track on the lake last year i think the t-cat had a tuff time catching up

Back before I fell in love with the blue yammi's I had a T-cat 900 with a newer Tcat 1000 motor in it. That thing would haul some arse! Was always jacking around with it to make it run though! Not to mention the parts were PRICEY! Bought it with a burnt down cyclinder and ended up driving 8 hours round trip to by the wrecked 1000 for the motor. Them cyclinders are coated with super un-atanium! Bought the whole sled for a lil more then the parts to fix mine.

could be sick. i do call it the trash cat. could have been conditions too(was slushy that day) plus the zr had a 1-1/4" track and the tcat only had a 3/4", but has since been upgraded to a 1-1/4" rip saw. might have a few good races if we ever get any snow

rodny51082 said:
i kinda challanged my buddy the other day and want to know what you guys think. i have a 03 viper 700 piped,clutched,v force reeds 200 picks in good stock track. he has a stock everything arctic cat zr800 fi. who is going to take it on the lake.

What pipes are you running?

I have mentioned many times before that I have a very strong running stock Viper. Here is my experience with ZR800's. The carbed ones I have been able to walk on. A friend from work used to own a ZR800efi sno pro. He said his was as fast or faster than all his buddies with F7's. I rode one weekend with him in northern Wisconsin a few years ago across the Chippewa Flowage and the outside temps were like 37-40 degrees F. that whole weekend. He could pull me only in the midrange by about 2 lengths when we'd punch it and then we'd freeze all the way across the lake. (Until he blew a belt...LOL!) My gut feeling though was his efi was helping him out bigtime. My Viper is a bit sluggish in those temps and it runs REALLY hard in the teens Farenheit. I do believe with the efi's you gotta pick your times when you have carbs. I think I would have taken him in lower temps.

A good example in my case: One year I was running Lake Gogebic at around 10 deg. F and I was pulling a ZR900 by one length all the way across the lake. Not from a dead stop but spooled up and hitting it. I felt pretty good about that. I was also trading back and forth leads with a Mach Z1000 on the same day. Not bad IMHO for a 700 single pipe.

the pipes i have on my viper are speed werx. no snow around here so we still havent had a chance to race yet. i think i have the carbs tuned kinda rich to so im waiting to see how its going to pull. this no snow thing is killing me tho it was like 55 deg for the first day in february.

hope to get up to maine next week and race my buddy when we get out to one of the lakes. waiting to see what she can do. been warm out here tho i will have to race him at like 5 in the morning to get the 5 degree temps.

a bone stock zr 800 works ok but my well set up sx 700 would beat them /ive raced them lots.now a well set up zr 900 is another storey.depends on set up ,day,etc always go ready.

this past weekend i had the chance to race both the zr and the thunder cat on moosehead lake in maine. this being my first time out with it i didnt know what to expect. first i raced the zr 800. the conditions were perfect for a head to head race, hard packed flat base on the lake about 6" or so. the zr was quick off the line (fuel injection prob helped some) but i took him easily within an 1/8 and over about a 1/4 mile had him by many sled lengths. then i raced the thundercat and didnt expect to beat him but i had him off the start and pulled away untill i let off. speedo was reading 117mph at this point and felt like it had some left to but didnt want to push it to hard. my buddies were impressed with it but didnt want to admit it. and they realy didnt like it when i told them its just a little 700. one is now talking about buying the new 1100 turbo cat.

Back