Vk540

David M

Anyone here familiar with the VK540? Any problem areas on these? (Did I read somewhere that the 540 twin, fan cool had crank issues one year? '98 I think.).

From what little I can find on the net, they all seem to be about the same from '93 up.

I know they can work, but can you trail cruise on one after the work is done, or just have a little fun? Geez, at 650 lbs, wouldn't that be like trying to rally race a dump truck?

I had kinda settled on a VMax 700 long track to be my do-all sled, but a dealer where I was looking at one started asking me questions about what I would be using it for, and recommended the VK540 III. He said you can work the VK540 and have fun with it too, but the VMax wouldn't be much of a day to day worker. I was surprised the dealer would say this - he knows I'm buying used, and he had a 2000 VMax XTC I liked and he didn't have any used VK540's, so I started thinking I should take this guy seriously! It really sucks to be new at something and not knowing who's word to trust.

you can trail run a vk but she is primarily a work horse. the vk 540 III has a proaction rear skid in it with 11.5" of travel so it can be set for a reasonable trail ride. there are no problems i have ever heard of with the motor. it floats well in the powder especially in the swamps. i have an uncle with 2 of these sleds. a 1988 and a 1993. the 93 is pushing over 10000km with low maintenace. the 88 was parked due to the chain case exploding. the problem had been ongoing since the sled was new. you wont find one of these for sale used very often because the people who buy them use them for 10+ years and use them hard.

any thing else you want to know specifically?

Thanks Maim,

I noticed your location, so I'd like your opinion. I'm moving from Southern Ontario to Northern Ontario within the month and will be about 30km out of the nearest town. I've been a dirt bike rider for years (KDX220 & XR650R now), but have never ridden a sled. I want the sled for some trail cruises (2 up), some playing around (just me) but I want something I can really depend on to get me to town after bad weather and bring supplies back. All that plus I'd like reasonably low cost and good mileage.

So I did a lot of reading before going into a dealer and had come up with a VMax 700 long track as a good bet. I wanted a Yamaha because I've had thier dirt bikes in the past and they held up. I thought the 700 would be good when we're 2 up, long track and pulling supplies.

Any opinions would be really welcome, I've had to learn the hard way over time with dirt bikes, and I'd rather skip the learning curve of what not to buy!

Can the VK540 cruise along at a decent speed? From your experience, would the mileage of the VK be similar to the VMax (I keep reading how good the Yami triple 2 stroke is on gas).

You sure are right about not finding many used though. I've searched the Ontario Auto Trader and found none, but searching in all provinces I came up with a '98 for $2,900. in BC, and a 2002 for $5,900. in Quebec.

Hi there I am Miam's brother.

You could trail ride the VK but it would be like driving a tank to get to work every day. It would get you there reliably in some comfort but would be a b**ch to handle on the way(has a 20" wide track). I personally woul do the 700 long track(how long of a track does it have). My 700 viper beats maim's 500 sxr for gas millage. With a little clutching and gearing the 700 would pull well but still get as good or better millage than the VK an still be very trailable. Remember the VK pulls so great because it has high and low range. Feels like it will ull stumps at low range but has a max speed of 50km/h, and if i reamember right has top speed in high range of 100km/h or less(it is a big HEAVY reliable beast) I also beleive the VK's motor puts out in the range of 50hp while the 700 puts out over 100hp.

My 2 cent's

:yam:

i know my uncle can break trail for an entire weekend at the camp and still have enough gas to get back home. he has never done a miles per gallon trail runnin cause hes never on the trails. id tell you to buy a et410 but they are not avail anymore new. i know mine gets pretty close to the same gas milage as the viper trail runnin. my 410 averages about 200-220km on 5 gallons of gas. thing is most of the guys who run vk arent as computer savy so getting their oppinon will be hard. this isnt a sled that you can go throw around in the powder but it is one that will give you years of trouble free use. and it follows the kiss rule. Keep It Simple Stupid. air cooled so no worries about coolant leaks. monoshocks (or whatever yamaha calls em) whitch are damn near indestructable. my uncle has done this time and again, if it has 6" of track anywhere on the ground the sled will get up and go. thing floats like a bugger so getting stuck is almost impossible. what it sacrifices in trail manners it makes up for in reliability and the ability to get the job done .

Back