Yamaha Ovation Engine Bog

1 Trick Viper

Just pulled the kids' 1995 Ovation out of storage and fired the engine. It will start and idle fine but when I hit the gas, the engines bogs. I put it away last year and drained out the gas and I think the float bowl was clean. I can also slowly accelerate the sled on the stand but any hard acceleration the engine bogs out. Any ideas?? Plugged jets, bad fuel pump,TORS switch, etc. Never had one of these carbs apart so I am not sure what is involved.
Thanks for the help

clean the carbs 1st and then check for nests in the air box and exhaust. change the fuel filter while you are at it for peace of mind. make shure you blow the jets out with compressed air.

Hi:
I just cleaned the carb on a '90 ovation, and it starts easy now warm and cold and still bogs down when the clutch engages. I'm pretty sure I messed up the float level. I would clean it out and see how it runs, and maybe NOT remove the float from the body of the carb.

You can take that carb out in 20 minutes and clean it in an hour.

good luck,
Larry C

Bogg

Pull the carb off. Remove the needle and spray carb cleaner into the hole. Do the same for the air mixture screw. Make darn sure there is not a spider wedged into the orfice of the main jet. I have seen this many times with my Ovation. Good leson in carb 101 also. They are easy. Look up the carb on the parts finder to see an exploded view. Pretty straight forward.

I got rid of my Ovation bog by setting the correct amt of slack in the cable to the oil pump. My guess is without enough slack, too much oil gets injected into the fuel when you accelerate when the cable does not have enough slack.

You should also follow the procedure to set the correct amt of oil based on consumption.

Good luck,
lc
PS Leaving the mixture (both) at 1.75 turns from all the way in seems to work OK. Sled is easy to start when cold, but when warm it takes 5-6 pulls with the throttle open to get it going.

Hi everyone I have an 89 ovation and I've been having the same problem with engine nog but mine bogged down at almost full throttle. I cleaned the carbs changed the ignition coil spark plugs cap fuel pump and filter and reset the air screws. Now the machine won't even start lol. ANY IDEAS???

Back