snofine

yamaviper700

as if there can ever be to much snow!!! we just had a massive dump of the white stuff here in southern manitoba. i'm not quite used to not seeing my ski tips.i've got one problem maybe you deep powder guys can help .i have an 2002 viper,absolutly great sled ,i'm having a lot of problems keeping snow out of the airbox.this morning the carbs were froze up, there was ice all over them. can anyone tell me ,which vents to block off.and or is there an after market fix.i can't be the only one out there with this prob thnks!!!! :rocks: :o|

This was just covered. Go to search on top of the page & type in Viper deep snow.

You can also reduce the amount of powder build at the source. The problem is with stock Viper ski's, they really suck in deep powder. Here's why, narrow width for poor floatation. But the biggest concern is the shape of the tip, it's wide at the wrong area. Up high at the tip. What this does is cause the tip to push/spray powder to the sides and up on sled, in your face, etc.
I found this out, when I first rode my Viper in powder with the stock ski's. Then rode my bud's sled through the same snow conditions with Simmon's ski's. The side by side comparision between the Simmons and stockers was amazing. So I put a set of Simmons on it, and cured to the problem.

I am going to try a set of the new Yamaha 05 mountian ski's this year. My simmon's are starting to show some wear after 3 years of riding on to many gravel/snow/gravel/snow roads. It will be interesting to see how the new mountain ski compares to the Simmons.

Last edited:
any suggestions as to how one might mod the existing skis?... that snow off the ski tips is annoying after a short while...

Simmons skis at the moment are out of the question...

thanks..

I suppose a guy could trim the tip down to make it narrower using a jig saw. It would be one of those mods you would want to do a little at a time then try it out since there's no going back! Probably be a good idea to file/sand the edges smooth where the cuts were made also. It's possible some minor reshaping at the tip could make a difference.

Back