01 srx vs 02 srx

badazzyammie

ok my 01 srx has bender clutch kit 1in predator track with 192 studs hauck growlers and a couple holes drilled in airbox and my dads 02 srx has a bender can on it thats it no studs or nothing and from a rolling start he smokes me havnt done a dead run yet. but my question is are the 02 srxs really that much faster than the 01s?

badazzyammie said:
ok my 01 srx has bender clutch kit 1in predator track with 192 studs hauck growlers and a couple holes drilled in airbox and my dads 02 srx has a bender can on it thats it no studs or nothing and from a rolling start he smokes me havnt done a dead run yet. but my question is are the 02 srxs really that much faster than the 01s?

All 3 years (2000,2001 and 2002) SRX models were virtually the same. The 2000 and 2002 were jetted the same but lower than the 2001. The clutching was pretty much identicle on all 3 years. So with all things equal on these two sleds the 2002 might have an advantage being it would have leaner jetting. The 2002 has the detonation sensor and that is why Yamaha went back to the 2000 jetting. They must have felt it was slightly lean I guess under certain conditions.

journeyman said:
All 3 years (2000,2001 and 2002) SRX models were virtually the same. The 2000 and 2002 were jetted the same but lower than the 2001. The clutching was pretty much identicle on all 3 years. So with all things equal on these two sleds the 2002 might have an advantage being it would have leaner jetting. The 2002 has the detonation sensor and that is why Yamaha went back to the 2000 jetting. They must have felt it was slightly lean I guess under certain conditions.

Agreed, the 2001 did have the fastest 1/4 mile time but that is depending on a number of factors within the run when it managed that time. That should be a tight race, although it's amazing how two sleds of the same model can vary so much!

NO, YAMAHA ACTUALLY HAD A JETTING BULLETIN ON THE 2000 SRX TO UP JETTING TO 01 SPEC BECAUSE OF A FEW LONG PULL BURN DOWNS. 3:16 (yammie tony)

bluemonster1 said:
best to get rid of the 01 and get an 02 and you will be happy again.You can actually jet 7 sizes down on the 02 and still not blow her up..

Yes....I wish I would have had the detonation sensor on my 2002 Viper like the 2004 has when I had it piped. Would have saved me some $$$$.

badazzyammie said:
or i could just swap hoods lol. i think that would be alot cheaper haha think he would know

Wait why would you change out hoods? But the 01 and 02 SRX are almost identical, should output same hp within reason, I wonder how much that clutch kit is actually helping / hurting you.

How much is he beating you by?

so i would have his lol its my dads. well when we took off he just pulled away not like it was really bad but still

your Dad not sharing all the secrets with you LOL!!!!!!!

Id say your Growler can and extra weight in the pics are holding you back plus the clutch kit is too need oem parts ;)!

Last edited:
Check the tech pages for clutching your SRX. As for the silencers, all I know is the stock one is the best. I hope the growlers aren't as bad on your sled as all the aftermarket ones I have tried on my Viper. My sled falls on it's face with anything but the stock silencer on it. Like night and day.

Yeah that's true about heel clickers ^^^ I read a lot of people couldn't get them set up for top end quite as good as the Yamaha weights. And yeah the stock can on these sleds works great, after market ones don't provide enough back pressure so you lose hp at the end of the rev curve for top end!

do yourself a favor and buy a 51/45 aftermarket helix, put 4.5 in both holes with a w/w/w yamaha primary spring, it will run out good!

from the MRviper pages of clutch tuning

Back